A day at Scots Bay


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Nova Scotia
August 20th 2018
Published: August 21st 2018
Edit Blog Post

We took a drive to Scots Bay today with friends. Our plan was to walk the tidal flats in search of clams and cook them, hot dogs and marshmallows on the beach. The tide was still on its way out when we arrived. We drove around the area, stopping by Blomidan Provincial Park and snapped a few photos. Then we headed off to Scots Bay.

There was a hand-written sign indicating that you should park back beyond a dead tree at the beginning of the roadway. The guy who actually put the sign there was at the beach and he told Gene that a few people had camped overnight down the beach and came back to have their car filled with nearly 3 feet of saltwater.

Gene and Peter walked out to investigate the clam situation only to later find out that the shouldn't be eaten. The time of year was wrong and there was a risk of bacteria. They went back in the water to be eaten another day.

Niki walked around on the "beach" looking for the Nova Scotia Agate. Apparently quite a number of people search for these rocks around the Nova Scotia area. Quite the hobby. I started out to where the guys were and found myself ankle-deep in muck. What started out as a thin layer of mud turned to a shoe-sucking muck. At one point I thought my Crocs were lost to the mud. I decided not to head out as far as they were. I turned and went to a small "river" that was running out to the bay. It provided enough water flow to clean my feet and my shoes. I then walked back to the more stable rocks/beach area via this "river".

We had a nice lunch and then headed to an area called the Lookoff. We were able to park alongside the road and take a few photos. In the panoramic shot, you'll seen Gene and Peter preparing to hit golf balls off the ridge.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



21st August 2018

Scots Bay
The Lookoff is pretty, can't say the same for the muck (yuck!). Must be a lot of golf balls at the bottom :-)

Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0657s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb