On The Road Again


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Nova Scotia » Pictou
May 21st 2007
Published: May 21st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

- Antigonish, NS


CampingCampingCamping

Our first real campsite of the trip, in Antigonish.

- Antigonish, NS
Brad and Treena
On the road again.
We spent 6 days and nights in Stephenville, exploring the wide range of food possibilities including, Mcdonald's, Timmy Ho's, Subway, and my favorite, Pizza Delight. We spent a lot of time sleeping, and laying around the hotel room trying to give Treena the best short recovery possible.
Our first day on the bikes was a 30 km ride that turned out really well. We were cold and wet, and able to stop at a truckstop, instead of trying to sleep in a field somewhere, while Treena was still nursing her broken rib back to health. 2 days after that, was a major obstacle called Wrechouse Pass. It can be extremely dangerous, but was not too terrible on the day we passed. Still our windiest day, but not as bad as some of the stories we had been told. We battled trhough it and ended up on top. We took a ferry from Newfoundland to Nova Scotia, and arrived at about 10:00 at night, so we took all our stuff up to the waiting room in the terminal, got out our sleeping bags, and had a pretty good nights sleep there.
Our first stop in Nova Scotia was Baddeck, an incredibly cool town, where we treated ourselves to a nice dinner on the waterfront, and a load of laundry.
From Baddeck it was south-west to the Canso Causeway which lead us off of Cape Breton, with only Kelly's Mountain in our way. Kelleys Mountain, which everyone had warned us about wasnt so bad after all. It was a 7 km climb into the fog, but was not too steep. We battled winds across the causeway once again, and I saw something I had never seen before. None other than a road killed seal. We stayed the night camped out an Irving Turck stop, just up the hill from the causeway.
We tried to wait out ugly weather at the causeway, on our way to Antigonish, but it seemed like it would never leave. We took off at noon, on a cold, windy, mean day, but had only a short cycle ahead. It warmed up a bit by the time we got to Antigonishl, and we were both very happy to stay at a real campsite there.
The next morning we would be setting off to pictou, and the ferry to PEI.


Sorry about the brief account of our events, but we are trying to accomplish a lot on our day off.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

WindyWindy
Windy

200km/hr gusts through Wreckhouse Pass, luckily not on the day we were there.
CourthouseCourthouse
Courthouse

Baddeck, Nova Scotia
LighthouseLighthouse
Lighthouse

Baddeck, Nova Scotia. From where we had dinner on the waterfront
ReflectionReflection
Reflection

Between Baddeck and Antigonish.
Unknow BirdsUnknow Birds
Unknow Birds

There were hundreds of birds nested on the ebach, and these piers.


30th May 2007

Can you beleive it, 4 provinces!!
Hi Guys' You are rocking my world. I absolutly love the pics. This is the nitist way to communicate ever, seeing your entries your pictures, and other people comments is great. My lonely nights are over. You are on mine daily ritual. Keep it up, you'll be in the history books, mine anyway!! Love you momy jojo

Tot: 0.159s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 12; qc: 53; dbt: 0.1095s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb