Lighthouse at Terence Bay


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Nova Scotia » Halifax
July 30th 2018
Published: August 1st 2018
Edit Blog Post

15_Terence Bay LH15_Terence Bay LH15_Terence Bay LH

The approach to the lighthouse. We walked via a small path out to the granite rocks.
Two lighthouses today, this one was on Tennant Point at the entrance to Terence Bay. The original lighthouse was erected following the sinking of the SS Atlantic in 1873 (info from http://www.nslps.com). (From an article in the Chronicle Herald) The SS Atlantic was a 440' White Star Line ship (yes, the Titanic was also built by White Star Line). The SS Atlantic was the first loss for White Star Line. The Atlantic struck a small island within swimming distance of the shore at 3:15 am on April 1, 1873. Of the nearly 1,000 passengers, crew and stowaways that had departed Queenstown, Ireland, for New York eleven days previously, the captain determined that 430 people had been saved and 546 lost. The local fishermen and other village volunteers rescued as many as they could.

That light was replaced by the current tower in 1903 and was built using day labor at a cost of $471.

The years had taken a toll on the wooden structure. The foundation was eroding, the paint was peeling and a piece of plywood used to cover a hole where a boulder smashed through it during a storm. The DFO (Dept of Fisheries and Oceans)/Coast Guard
16_Terence Bay LH16_Terence Bay LH16_Terence Bay LH

The lighthouse under renovation.
began major repairs to the lighthouse on July 3rd. The lighthouse has had many issues toward ownership and a public right-of-way. In order to get out to the lighthouse, a homeowner has claimed the public must walk over part their property. The issues continue to be unresolved.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

17_Terence Bay LH17_Terence Bay LH
17_Terence Bay LH

The side of the lighthouse that used to have the damage from the boulder.
21_small lobster port21_small lobster port
21_small lobster port

As we left Terence Bay and headed back toward Halifax, we spotted this small harbor with a few lobster/fishing boats.
24_scenic church24_scenic church
24_scenic church

A pretty church just up the hill from the lobster port.


Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0454s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb