Fortress of Louisbourg


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Nova Scotia » Cape Breton » North Sydney
September 5th 2016
Published: July 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 46.2149, -60.2445

Our hotel is about 45 minutes from the Fortress so we were there soon after opening. We had planned 2 activities for the day but soon discovered that a visit to this site was an all day activity. We took the optional walking tour and it was well worth it. The guide gave us a great amount of detail regarding the history.

Founded by the French in 1713, it was one of North Americas busiest 18 century seaports. It was taken over twice by the British before being demolished in the 1760's. Reconstruction began in the 1960's and continues today. To date about 1/4 of the original French town and fortifications have been completed. It is the largest historical reconstruction in North America.

The original lighthouse built in 1734 was the first in Canada.

It is called a Fortress because contained within the walls is an entire town as opposed to a Fort which is a smaller structure.

The major export was fish (cod).

After that we walked around the site, entering houses and reading the displays or listening to the commentary offered by the staff who were in period costumes.

There was a restaurant on site where we had the traditional pea soup and bread, rum pudding and the local beer which at the time was a stout.

We departed about 4:30 with the closing time being 5 pm.

Today was labour day and fortunately the park was open because otherwise this is a holiday in Nova Scotia and most places are closed including restaurants and even Walmart! We are staying in a hotel which thankfully has a restaurant.


Additional photos below
Photos: 64, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0368s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb