Cabot Trail, day 2


Advertisement
Published: September 25th 2012
Edit Blog Post

The sun came out this morning!

Tour guide Ryan took us to a number of scenic lookouts and beaches today. The planned whale watching didn't take place until late afternoon, due to high wind early this morning. However, when Roberta and I discovered the boat was a zodiac we opted to stay on dry land, in a gesture of respect for our lower spines! Zodiacs are quite bumpy even in good weather. The four who went did see a lot of pilot whales, and came back with some great photos and videos of them.

Tonight we feasted on crab, potato salad, and rolls, at the amazing cost of $12 per person!

We were a bit dismayed this afternoon to discover that what we thought was the female dorm (where we slept last night) is actually a coed dorm! We find two of the 10 beds in our room will be occupied by men tonight. Not too sure how comfortable I feel about that!

There has also been a problem with water here – LACK of it. The water was just a trickle this morning here. They brought in someone to fix it but when we got back again this afternoon the same problem existed. I opted for a sponge bath rather than the shower I really wanted. It's back on again tonight, so maybe a shower will be possible. After eating crab, I feel like I could use a shower, even after the sponge bath. The hostel proprietor has been very apologetic about this, noting she especially feels bad about having this happen with this group, because they give her a lot of business.

The scenery today was certainly spectacular. A touch of fall is in the air already.

The young folks are going to have a beach fire tonight, but we're staying home. The beach is about a 20-minute walk from here, and we figure we will be ready to throw in the towel way earlier than the rest, and we don't want to break up the party early so they can give us a ride back to the hostel.

I love the idea of these small tours. The ability to adapt to the interests of the guests makes them really attractive. The only thing I would change about this one is I would ask in advance the average age of the people on the tour. I'm enjoying the company of the young folks, but I'm unwilling to try to keep up with them. This was NOT an issue with the tour we took last week when the other participants were closer in age to us.

This account feels a bit disjointed tonight. I'm going to put up the photos I took today, and maybe will retouch this in a day or two when I have a quieter environment in which to reflect on all we've done.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Photographing mushroomsPhotographing mushrooms
Photographing mushrooms

There are mushrooms all over up here right now and one member of our tour group has been photographing them all obsessively. The rest of the group has been taking a page from her book today.


26th September 2012

Great pix!
And I'm impressed that you guys are even doing the hostelling thing, so good on you for that. Keeping up with young folks is a bit of a tall order these days, isn't it?

Tot: 0.121s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0573s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb