Cape Breton - day 3


Advertisement
Published: September 27th 2012
Edit Blog Post

When we got back to Halifax last night the Internet was down, seemingly across the city, so I wasn't able to post on our last day on the Cabot Trail until today. I hope I haven't forgotten too much! Downloading all the photos helps, though.

We had been supposed to go sailing yesterday, but it turns out the last sailing tour was last week. So after breakfast, we got going to complete the entire circuit of the Cabot Trail, with many stops along the way for scenic views. This was our third day of beautiful weather in Cape Breton. It only began to rain after we left the island on our way back to Halifax.

At one point we took a little ferry across a river, a cable ferry. It put me in mind of the Quyon Ferry in the Ottawa Valley, though it was a bit bigger. We were packed on like sardines, preventing me from getting out of the van to snap better photos. The funniest moment was when a honey wagon pulled up right next to us. Needless to say, the windows were all rolled up at that point, and there were a lot of jokes made about going down with the shi*.

Last stop in Cape Breton was Baddeck, where we only had an hour to ramble about. Not long enough for me to take in the Alexander Graham Bell Museum, unfortunately. I've always wanted to see this, and haven't managed yet. I guess this means I need to come back here again some day.

Getting into Baddeck was a bit challenging! Coming around a corner, we found a house in the road ahead of us. It was being moved and they managed to get stuck in the middle of the road. Fortunately we were able to turn around and Ryan knew another way into town.

There was some sort of old Rolls Royce reunion going on in Baddeck: the town will loaded with beautiful vintage Rolls Royces! However, it was less fun when they all started their engines, reminding me of the days when there was no emission control. Ugh!

We got back to the Halifax hostel around 8:30 and turned in early, anticipating an early start Friday morning on the next leg of our journey, to New Brunswick.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Yes, you saw that rightYes, you saw that right
Yes, you saw that right

On our way into Baddeck, we were forced to detour when we came across a house moving that went wrong! They were stuck. I wonder how long it took them to get out?


28th September 2012

I have enjoyed your journey along with you, one day we will do our tour of the Maritimes and see the things that you have written and photographed in your blog. Like the song says, our bags are packed and we're ready to go.... We are leaving on a 3 p.m. flight this afternoon and will have supper in Bucharest tomorrow. My sister has loaned me her notebook , so I ought to have internet access while we are cruising the Danube and will be able to keep up with your journey. See you when you return, and we shall swap stories and adventures that we have had.
3rd October 2012

Thinking of you too!
We've been thinking of you guys as you start out on your amazing journey. I hope you enjoy yours as much as we are enjoying ours! See you when you return.

Tot: 0.127s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 14; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0659s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb