First day in Yellowknife


Advertisement
Published: August 21st 2009
Edit Blog Post

Mel and Nigel's Mel and Nigel's Mel and Nigel's

look, it is on rocks!
After a night of celebrating Christine's birthday (Mel's friend) at 2 local pubs...the Black Knight and Twist, headed home for a night of sleep and not getting up to pack up for another driving day! Today, was some relaxing and a tour of Old Yellowknife!

Mel gave us (Otis came as well) a walking tour of Old Yellowknife, where people first settled! Beautiful! I love the houseboats on the water...bright colours. They canoe in during the spring/summer and drive on the ice road in the winter. There is a time each spring, where the ice is too soft, the folks who live in the houseboats will stay in town!

It is amazing, most of the houses don't have basements, because the rock has to be blasted. The house Nigel and Mel live in...is built on rocks!

After a great dinner, we all went for a hike on the old ski trails. I tell you, Otis is a rock climbing dog! You should have seen him go! Silly us, we forgot to put bug juice on! The mosquitoes were thick, but they really didn't take away the fun of the hike!

Afterwards we went to their friend place
Old YellowknifeOld YellowknifeOld Yellowknife

Otis and Julie
to plan our canoe trip to Hidden Lake on Friday after work! Image a 2 canoes, 5 people, a dog, and our supplies....more to come later!

Wish us luck!


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Old YellowknifeOld Yellowknife
Old Yellowknife

a dip in Slave Lake (felt warmer, than Lake Louise)
Old YellowknifeOld Yellowknife
Old Yellowknife

The harbour
Old Ski TrailOld Ski Trail
Old Ski Trail

Nigel and Mel (we climbed the rocks!)
Old Ski TrailOld Ski Trail
Old Ski Trail

Nigel and Otis


Tot: 0.147s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.1062s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb