La Scie - Soapstone - Skiffs - Icebergs


Advertisement
Published: July 11th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Lupins in BahgdadLupins in BahgdadLupins in Bahgdad

...the view from the picnic table in Island Cove Campground, La Scie.
July 8, 2016 Little Bay Is to La Scie







So the ferry with a hole in it was fixed. The Inspector came and by 12:45 all the vehicles were on board and heading for the Pelley's Is. From here it was 140km to La Scie.







Sharlene the hostess had by now a bare cupboard. Two couples stayed an extra night and a new couple could not come. As for the BMA and Nfld., it continued but later than expected.







The drive to La Scie was relatively uneventful. Due to increasing warmth in the van excess clothes were -removed for the last 56km. In one town the shoulders of the main street were chuck-a-block full of parked cars and when inquiry was made the event that had percipitated all these vehicles was a funeral. The name of the deceased was not proffered and therefore remains a mystery. One fact for certain, the main character in this drama was unknown to us.







Only a few steep inclines were encountered. The greens of the various tree
Lilacs at the Tea RoomLilacs at the Tea RoomLilacs at the Tea Room

Wish the perfume of the blossoms could waft your way!
species continued to dazzle the eye. The clouds were the best ...fluffy, white, big and in stark contrast against the brilliant azure of the sky. The ever present warnings about potholes were heeded and only two craters were hit full on.







Triton had been visited. It was an uneventful town the biggest impression having been made by the massive Salvation Army Headquarters building. To undertand this heavy presence one must really explore Google. And where are the Jehovas? Not more than seven temples have been spotted, where as the Salvation Army presence seems to be in every fishing (former) village. Apparently the training Centre was in the Maritimes. Not all people are soldiers but followers can experience 'gloryfits'...who knew?







La Scie (The Saw) lies at the bottom of a very steep mountain. Quite a few businesses are open and receiving customers. I the grocery store the greenest thing was a green pepper at $5.29 a pound. Metric hasn't hit here yet. The celery was wrapped in saran and looked fresh.







During the walk about in the small town stops were made at the two hardware stores, the pharmacy and the grocery store. Finally, lunch in the Tea Room/ Outport Museum. The Tea Room is mentioned in the DK travel book and Where to Eat in Canada. The pea soup was delicious served over a white flour dumpling. The museum can be visited for a four dollar fee. A student has been hired to act as guide two days of the week for the duration of the summer.







The one kilometer walk to the “business section” of town took little time. The visiting of stores and the talking to people tokk six hours. It was time well spent. This is traveling! ... that is what it is all about. Any body can be a tourist on a bus. If ones chooses that route there will never be time for a conversation with a local.







The Sunday trip to Fleur de Lys was PERFECT.







Being Sunday all restaurants were closed and breakfast was not had until 15:00.



At the end of the town road, steps lead up to a trail and look out. On the way a painter in clean whites and a brand new easel was seen painting the harbour view. He comes from Massachusets and is a school custodian there.



From the look out was spied a very large iceberg. A couple that had been met on their way out agreed to allow a check in on our way out so that a damaged body would not be left on the tail.







After walking the trail a visit was made to the paleoeskimo soapstone quarry of one thousand years ago. A path behind this centre leads up to the Fleur d elys Look-out and there below is spread out the harbour with its small trap skiffs that catch lobster and cod.



Having spoken to a local about acquiring soapstone for carving the conversation moved to the possibility of a trip out to the iceberg.



Of course the offer was gladly taken. The painter came also along. The skipper of the small fishing boat wanted no recompense and only after much codgeling he accepted a pair of purple socks.



The ice chunks from the iceberg that he had scooped up with a net are still melting in a clean pail bought at the Great Canadian Dollarstore.





Soapstone was bought at the Dorset Trail Info Centre in Baie Verte at $5.20 a piece. The biggest pieces were chosen.



The excitement began on the fifty two kilometer stretch back to La Scie. There on the left stood ... A MOOSE! The van slowed down . The moose spooked ... and was gone in a flash.







The rest of the evening was spent cleaning the flesh out of the snow crab legs received from a man in a truck. An official sit down dinner on a plate was not neccesary after the Mary Brown's hot chicken sandwich...yuk..., the double scoop of ice cream ... yum... and a small bag of Dorito Natchos ... bad bad bad.



Once all the legs have been scraped and sucked dry the table was a fishy mess and the windbreaker was ready for the laundry basket.





Mark Kurlansky







Monday is laundry day after blogging all day long at the Tea Room/Outport Museum.





After three days of sunning the weather is once more rainy.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Skiff Captain with AxeSkiff Captain with Axe
Skiff Captain with Axe

Some of the iceberg chunks were too big for the net.
Netting Greenland Glacial IceNetting Greenland Glacial Ice
Netting Greenland Glacial Ice

...it takes two years to drift to Nfld and is centuries old ice....10,000yrs+
Snow Crab Leg ShellsSnow Crab Leg Shells
Snow Crab Leg Shells

What a messy job with only scissors and a knife to pry, prod and scoop the flesh out of the cooked shells. What a lot of work to get a meal!
Sunset at La ScieSunset at La Scie
Sunset at La Scie

What a wonderful four days ...the best yet on this BMA and Nfld.


Tot: 1.928s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 13; qc: 57; dbt: 0.1861s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.2mb