Driving Routes 414 + 1 + 430


Advertisement
Published: July 14th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Only  One Insectarium in Nfld.Only  One Insectarium in Nfld.Only One Insectarium in Nfld.

... the butterfly room was phenomenal ... better than Science Center Toronto, Science North Sudbury or Insectarium Montreal
July 12 +13



Gros Morne ... the famous Gros Morne was reached.

OK... so only for one night ... but the twentieth will see a four sleep visit.





From La Scie to Gros Morne was far and long... 236km ... because of numerous stops for; coffee, food, toilets, attractions, moose, rock formations, construction, craters called pot holes and the Newfoundland Insectarium.





The sign stands at the side of TCH (Trans Canada Highway) and the van headed there immediately. Lucky move! ... this also being the road leading to Gros Morne.







The imported $1200 a month cocoons and chrysalis hang beyond a picture window on rubber tubes, the kind that cover and insulate water pipes in the basement. There was much excitement as The Morpho Butterfly from Venezuela emerged from its tiny green chrysalis. The wings become large as the butterfly pumps liquid from its body into the wings.







Route 430 to Norris Point and Gros Morne KOA was a road like no other ever encountered. Hanging valleys, bald mountain tops, steep roads requiring low gear, transports in front and behind and stone formations some unrecognized and some of small acquaintance unfolded before the eyes as the kilometers disappeared under the tires. It was beyond exhilaration!







Taking too many shots was impossible. Constant attention on the break lights in the vehicle before and the approach of the milk tanker behind made for only unfocused unaimed evidence of a thrilling ride.







Has it been reported that two moose were seen sauntering across the highway early on in the July twelfth drive? And at the same time the couple that assured safe exit from the Fleur de Lys trail stopped and a short conversation of goodbye was had.







Having left La Scie at 07:20 the KOA camp site was reached early enough to cook a meal (the last two days had been filled with junk junk junk), take a walk and organize the van.







WiFi service was good and cell service was available.The van was packed and ready for an early departure for Port aux Choix and a
BloomsBloomsBlooms

Daffodils, Tulips, Apple Trees, Lilacs, Lupins, Iris, Lilies, Poppies, Wild Meadows ... all these blooms and now the roses.
two night stay at SeaEcho Motel and RVPark.







July 13 to Port aux Choix







After a 08:15 departure from KOA the town of Norris Point was explored. This exploration lasted long enough to be able to visit a local cafe for a good coffee and a delicious Panini ... and the whole place was furnished with IKEA! It was sublime and departure was not made until 10:20.







The highs and lows of yesterdays journey totally flattened out and the only thing of interest was the sapphire blue waters of the Gulf of St. Lawrence.







The day park Arches was visited but because of Birkenstocks instead of Vasque Hiking boots the glacial pebble rocks could not be negotiated and pics were only taken from afar.







Finally a gas station and toilet. No stations had been seen since Deer Lake. Of course once the tank had been filled numerous stations like Irving and Esso appeared on the horizon.







Port aux Choix lies fifteen kilometers in off the main highway. The terrain is totally flat, wind swept, stark, grey and very uninspiring.







The SeaEcho Motel was even more uninspiring so bad in fact that it was left behind. The RVPark offered spots that looked very much like the parking spots with electric plugs as seen in Northern Ontario for winter battery plug-ins.







Having read all the info about Archaic, Paleoeskimo, Indian and Beothuk ( all extinct therefore the nomenclature), watched the video and asked necessary questions especially the one about the seal penis that was used to flake tools the drive continued, this time in search of a place to stay for the night.



Penis answer: because the seal penis has a bone in it, as does a dog, it becomes hard enough to be able to affect change in thin slices of chert.







And now the decision to drive to Roddickton and the Mayflower Inn at 250+ km. Not being certain that the Mayflower would have a vacancy an eye was kept open for alternative overnighting. Many Resource Roads were spotted. The quarries seen already had campers using the space. Plans of what to eat and how to wash flashed thru the brain and all became calm because all was possible. Visions of ten years ago the Scandia Truck Trip and pulling into any space feasible or not for [pitching a tent came rushing one over the other. The big difference between those forced stops and a possible stop today was that that driver never did find a place without garbage!







The Mayflower Inn is a motel, old, hocky-pocky, basic, with clean towels and no carpets. One hundred and nineteen dollars it is not worth! The halls are horrible and the safety lock is missing on the door. OH WELL ...its only for one night ...Resource Road or Quarry or something else in St Anthony.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Flat Stark WindyFlat Stark Windy
Flat Stark Windy

... the site that thousands of years ago was a settlement for peoples now extinct. ... and then came the French
Room 207Room 207
Room 207

... LOL ...this instead of my lovely van and my most lovely bed!


Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0373s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb