Little Bay Island


Advertisement
Published: July 7th 2016
Edit Blog Post

July 6, 2016, Little Bay Island in Central Nfld, bathed by the waters of Notre Dame Bay which in turn is fed by the waters of the great Atlantic Ocean.





We have been remiss ... and that is because we are taking a break from the Big Maritime Adventure.



Here in Little Bay things are most quiet, very wet, and totally delightful.



The house, which used to be owned by Aunt Edna but is now operated as a B&B by Sharlene who is originally from B.C. ,is deemed a heritage house. It is filled with all the things of days gone by and things left behind by Aunt Edna.



Another couple from Boston has been sharing the dining room table with us, partaking of scrumptous breakfasts and equally delightful and wonderfully presented dinners.







To get to the Island from Twillingate took perseverance and dedicated attention to the asphalt, plus and minus the craters and some potholes.







A stop was made at Lewiston and then again at Grand Falls-Windsor in an attempt to address the tablet which most inconveniently chose the mid point of the Big Adventure to go on the FRITZ!







Well of course no one could fix it. I am hoping my PCDoctor in Sudbury will be able to pull magic out of his back room and make the tabblett at least give up my many photos.







So, eyes on the road, it was a steady 100k/hr on those stretches of highway that were not impared with construction, craters, missing shoulders and no-show moose.







The ferry from Pilley's Island was scheduled to leave at 13:45 and 16:30.



The green trees flew by. The transports were passed. The craters were deftly avoided ... all but two doozies. The 13:45 ferry was attained and we were in good time for the first evening meal on Little Bay Is.







All drives from A to B anywhere here in Nfld. are always a combination steep downhill grades requiring shift to low gear or ascends in need of a heavy foot on the gas pedal. Little Bay Is. Is no exception. Once negotiating the twists, turns and grades of the road to Aunt Edna's, opposite the church just above the Marina, it was with pleasure the van was parked, there to remain for the duration of the four night stay ... ok it was used to go to the laundry on day three.







There are no stores here and the fish plant has been closed. Most of the residence here are over seventy years of age. One teenager of sixteen lives here. He has a father of around fifty who is in charge of the service needs of this small community. The father is here because of his sixty-nine year old mother.







Many of the people are only here for the summer months. Little Bay Island is one of the places that the government is trying to close down because of the costs of keeping the place operating. The vote by the residence to relocate was stopped by only half a missing vote. Permanent residence if relocated will be entitled to $270,000. Where will that by a new life? Senior residences do not come cheap.







This rest place from the Big Adventure has many photo opportunities. The first day was given over to wanders about the place, knitting, watching the news, eating well, and finishing a novel. Did we mention it has rained every day. Some days more than others.







The planned trip to Triton on day two had to be cancelled because the ferry was not running .... something about cables. The trail to the Lighthouse was taken but no lighthouse was found. The great look-out afforded a view of Notre Dame Bay, many seagulls and a vast display of wild flowers, sometimes called weeds.







Day three was totally wet and was designated a laundry day. It is still pissing rain!



Because of the island setting Things do not come cheap. The servant girl's room which we occupy is for a single person and the bathroom is on the first floor via the servant stairs. Breakfast is included ... yhaaa ... it is a B&B ....LOL. Dinners and lunch understandably come in at $45 and $15 respectively.
Traditional Nfld Jiggs DinnerTraditional Nfld Jiggs DinnerTraditional Nfld Jiggs Dinner

Sharlene created a perfect dinner for five. She even had a picture of the cartoon character to explain where the whole idea of the name for this boiled meal came from. Here in Nfld it is usually eaten on Thurs. and then again on Sun. with a hot meat dish like roast chicken. We had pork chops ...LOL
When we first read that it was OMG! ...instant diet. Once getting over he initial shock and considering what was involved in getting the food into Aunt Edna's kitchen the numbers were no longer so terrifying. ... AND ... all the meals have been very delicious. One evening we had a special, very traditional Jiggs Dinner. All five of us at table raved about it.



Here's the scoop <http://www.foodnetwork.ca/shows/great-canadian-cookbook/blog/jiggs-dinner-and-bread-recipe-36711/







We have met quite a few of the people here and have been invited to join the Thursday Circle of knitters, quilters and hookers. The get together is at the school without children and 'lunch' will be served.







The time spent at Twillingate has not been blogged due to technical difficulties. Blame it on the HongKong Special Ass-US, no pun intended on the Asus name.



Serious thought has been given to acquiring a new tablet, notebook, mini-laptop .... anything that will be reliable.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.13s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0897s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb