21 Days in Newfoundland - Day 9-11 Bonavista Lighthouse, Fogo Island, Fogo, Brimstone Head, Fogo Head, Joe Batt's Arm Trail, the Auk, Twillingate, Long Point Lighthouse, Nanny's Hole, Battrix Island


Advertisement
Published: September 17th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Was leaving Bonavista for Fogo Island, and since the sun was out for the first time in five days, I revisited the Bonavista Lighthouse to see it in the sunshine. Then on to Fogo. Following the ferry from Farewell to Fogo Island, I visited Fogo to visit the trailheads for my two hikes the following day. On day ten I tackled Brimstone Head, a steep hike up a rocky outcrop. Once there apparently you are at one of the four corners of the flat earth. Great views. Next was Fogo Head. Another very steep climb up to Fogo Head and Middle Head the highest hills in the area. Wonderful views of the islands, tickles and bay of Fogo. To end the day, I hiked the five km Joe Batt's Arm Trail to see the infamous "bronzed" Auk. The Auk is an extinct flightless bird which looks like a penguin but is not. A gorgeous, relatively flat scenic trail which hugs the coast the entire trail. A very busy day with three hikes and a total of five hours on the trails. On day 11, I drove to Twillingate and stopped at Long Point Lighthouse to tackle one of the trails below the lighthouse. The trail was a coastal trail with steep cliffs and views of the typical rock islands and bays of Newfoundland. Of course it was raining again by now dampening the day (and of course the trails). The rain finally stopped around 4 PM so I had time to climb to the top of Battrix Island (at the recommendation of my B&B host) and see the views from ahigh. Tomorrow a few more trails in Twillingate.


Additional photos below
Photos: 50, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0305s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb