Viking Trail Part 2


Advertisement
Published: September 19th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

St. Anthony to Lewisporte


St. AnthonySt. AnthonySt. Anthony

End of the Viking Trail, road stops here at the far north end of Newfoundland.
Very nice...one of my photos was nominated and selected as Travel Blog's "Photo of the Week." See link: http://www.travelblog.org/Topics/33772-1.html

September 18, 2013

Hotel North in St. Anthony provided a good night's rest and breakfast. We talked with a lot of locals, such a friendly town. We drove to the north end of the Viking Trail so that we could visit another UNESCO World Heritage site, L'Anse aux Meadows. This is the spot of the first authenticated European presence in North America. Vikings were here around 1000 AD and archaeologists have uncovered the remains of three dwellings. We found this place truly fascinating... seeing the artifacts in the well-done interpretive center, wandering around the mounds of the old dwellings, and enjoying the costumed interpreters in the cozy recreated sod buildings. We were the only hut visitors for about 30 minutes so enjoyed visiting with the Viking chief and his wife. In the visitor center we spent another 30 minutes with a local that used to play on these mounds when he was a kid, this was before they were "discovered." He knew everything about this place and everyone in the area and we were entertained with his colorful stories of growing up near L'Anse aux Meadows. It's a pretty scene with the cove where the Viking boats were believed to moor, the mounds, the sod buildings, and the hills.

The Viking Trail to L'Anse aux Meadows is a dead end so we were retracing our path back to Gros Morne today. We're not fond of driving the same road twice but didn't mind this one; there is so much to look at. There is a lot of activity on the road this time of year with men chopping wood and loading it to take to their homes. There were about three giant piles of cut wood for every mile, we aren't sure why the sleds and wood are still by the road but they don't seem to be afraid of others taking the wood. There are also huge stacks of lobster traps everywhere and men repairing them. The many villages, treed mountains, meadows and seashores create a collage of never boring scenes.

We drove a long way today and we are safe tonight in the town of Lewisporte in the central part of the island. It's a pretty simple hotel but there aren't many to chose from in this part of Newfoundland. Looking forward to visiting Twillingate tomorrow. A bus driver in North Sydney, Nova Scotia told us, "You haven't seen Newfoundland if you haven't been to Twillingate." In the spring and summer months one can see icebergs there but not now. I asked him, "Is it still that great without the icebergs?" He replied, "You haven't seen Newfoundland if you haven't been to Twillingate." We'll see.


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

L'Anse MeadowsL'Anse Meadows
L'Anse Meadows

Recreated sod village is to the right, cove where Vikings landed is to the left.
L'Anse MeadowsL'Anse Meadows
L'Anse Meadows

Nicely done recreation of a Viking village.
L'Anse aux MeadowsL'Anse aux Meadows
L'Anse aux Meadows

The Viking chief and his wife warm themselves inside a hut.
L'Anse aux MeadowsL'Anse aux Meadows
L'Anse aux Meadows

Inside the Viking hut.
L'Anse aux MeadowsL'Anse aux Meadows
L'Anse aux Meadows

One of the mounds from the original settlement.
L'Anse aux MeadowsL'Anse aux Meadows
L'Anse aux Meadows

Judy by cove where Vikings landed around 1000 AD.
L'Anse aux MeadowsL'Anse aux Meadows
L'Anse aux Meadows

Moose tracks on the boardwalk.
Dark TickleDark Tickle
Dark Tickle

This is an economuseum, that's what they call it. We learned all about the berries of the area.
Jam tasting at Dark TickleJam tasting at Dark Tickle
Jam tasting at Dark Tickle

Joe's expression looks like he's had a dark tickle.
Wood Everywhere on the Viking TrailWood Everywhere on the Viking Trail
Wood Everywhere on the Viking Trail

We saw wood piles, sleds, ATV's all along the road for miles and miles. It's time to start preparing for the long winter.
Caribou WarningCaribou Warning
Caribou Warning

We didn't see any caribou, except the dead one the man was hanging up yesterday.
Along the Viking TrailAlong the Viking Trail
Along the Viking Trail

Liked this view.
Boat Houses at Parsons PondBoat Houses at Parsons Pond
Boat Houses at Parsons Pond

Viking Trail, Newfoundland
Heading Back to Gros Morne NPHeading Back to Gros Morne NP
Heading Back to Gros Morne NP

Viking Trail, Newfoundland


19th September 2013

We too stopped at Dark Tickle. Still, to stand in the shadow of the Vikings and where their dwellings were at L'Anse aux Meadows, is spine tingling--or maybe a "dark tickle"--no pun intended.
19th September 2013

Vikings
Thanks for suggesting we go to L'Anse aux Meadows. It really was a wonderful experience. We drove plenty of miles to see it, but glad we did.
19th September 2013

Makes me want to go there!!
Boy, I wish I was doing this trip with you!! You mention the trees. When Fred and Gertrude lived in Iceland they said none of the trees were much over 12 feet. How about the trees there? Looks like from what is cut they must be pretty tall...Pines? Look forward to each new entry. Which picture was chosen? You have so many good ones.
19th September 2013

Trees
The trees are all pretty tall, the ones not in the bog forests are well over 30 ft. There should be a link at the top of my last blog to the photo of the week winner. It was the nighttime shot of the Toronto skyline.
20th September 2013
Choppy surf on the Viking Trail

Surf Photograph
SUPER!
20th September 2013
Choppy surf on the Viking Trail

Super
Have to confess. Joe stood out in the wind and cold to take this one.

Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 13; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0512s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb