Following the Viking Trail, Day 3, Tablelands


Advertisement

TablelandsTablelandsTablelands

Yes, that is snow at the top.
June 24, 2008

Today our destination is Tablelands. First we visited the new interpretive center in Gros Morne and then drove through south and west along highway 431. What a contrast! The north side of the road was lush and green with gently rolling hills, plenty of trees. The south side was rocky, barren and flat.

Scientists think that this area originated in the earth's mantle and was forced up from the depths of an ocean during a plate collision several hundred million years ago. The rock, peridotite lacks the usual nutrients required to sustain most plant life. It’s very low in calcium, very high in magnesium and iron and has toxic amounts of heavy metals. No wonder nothing grows here.

After experiencing some more of Newfoundland's liquid sunshine, we continued west to Trout River for lunch at the cozy and warm Seaside Restaurant. Clam chowder and a fish burger (actually a nice piece of battered cod) revived us. Patridgeberry pie (lingonberry to the Scandinavians) was a perfect finish. I noticed that the pie crust was thicker and almost the consistency of a thin cookie - not crisp, but delicious.

Harold and I had pre-ordered our dinner
Mist and More Liquid SunshineMist and More Liquid SunshineMist and More Liquid Sunshine

Still rainy and foggy, but still beautiful.
at Shallow Bay Resort and looked forward to our evening meal. We learned that the lobster season would close June 30, so felt very lucky. They were delicious, came with coleslaw, pasta salad and potato salad - all for $22.00. Harold decided to experience a local specialty by having a Screech Parfait - screech being the local high octane rum. The parfait was 99% ice cream and maybe 1% screech.

After washing off the lobster juices and butter, we walked to the conference room for a production by Gros Morne Theater titled "A Rum for the Money." Excellent acting in a small intimate setting. The entire play took place in a boat as three fellows evaded the dangers of smuggling in some "screech."


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Newfoundland LobsterNewfoundland Lobster
Newfoundland Lobster

Our timing was great as the lobster season ends in just a few days.


Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0448s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb