Back to Deer Lake


Advertisement
Published: September 4th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Countryside Countryside Countryside

We saw hundreds of lakes so far.
We drove to Deer Lake. Nothing eventful to talk about. Didn't see any moose. We spent the night in a delightful B&B in Deer Lake. The next morning, we drove through Gros Morne National Park. Beautiful mountains, lots of small fishing villages and lovely coastal roads.

We ended up at the Wildberry B&B and lodge. Pretty rustic. Mostly no internet and no cellphone service. We got up the next morning and headed over to L'Anse Meadows. This is a Nordic village built nearly 1 thousand years ago. It is the first landing of Europeans on the North American continent. When they came into contact with the natives, it is believed to be the first meeting of homo sapiens who travelled from Africa and headed east and west through Europe and Asia and over the Bering Straits to North America.

Oh, I forgot. Speaking of old things, we stopped at Flower Cove on the way up and saw and touched some Thrombolites. They look like giant flower shaped boulders at the edge of the sea. They are actually the remnants of algae and bacteria that have been dated at 650 million years old. This makes them the earliest forms of life on earth. There are only 2 places on earth where these are located. Labrador, Canada and Western Australia.

We then headed over to Norstead, which is a recreated Nordic village. It has a replica of a Nordic ship that they actually sailed from Greenland to Labrador, to prove that it could be done. We drove around to the tip of a peninsula. It is stunning here. Also, there is almost no traffic. If we see one car every 15 minutes, that's heavy traffic.

The next morning, we drove back to Deer Lake in a big storm. It rained all day and the wind gusts were about 50 mph. That was a 200 mile drive.

Tomorrow, we drive back to Gander, sp


Additional photos below
Photos: 31, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.275s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 13; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0633s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb