Day 8


Advertisement
Published: July 30th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Had a little trouble with the wifi at the hotel last night...

Well, today was a long day. Had to be at the ferry terminal by 9:15 for a 10:45 ferry and arrived at St. Barbe at 12:45. Met a nice couple from the Toronto area and they had driven the same route as us and we shared stories. He had just retired and this was their first “retirement trip”. They were fortunate enough to have not been able to get a room at the hotel we stayed at in Churchill Falls, but they also spent the night in their car on the road (they couldn’t get out of their car to set up their tent because the black flies and mosquitos were too bad). Met another couple that left Goose Bay at 9PM and drove all night in a Chevy Impala, and were on their way to Nova Scoitia. I do not see how they could drive a car on those roads but they did. Everyone was very nice and more than willing to share their stories. Then we had a 10 hour drive to Gander, Newfoundland. We did drive thru a very cool National Park called Gros Morne. Stopped and had a sandwich on the shores of the body of water between Labrador and Newfoundland (can’t remember the name), but very nice. Lots of lobster fishermen all over the place. We arrived at our hotel around 8PM and had dinner next door at another Jungle Jim’s. Very good dinner and now we’re ready for a good night’s sleep (after a beer or 2). Oh, forgot to say we did see a whale off in the distance while on the ferry along with a pack of dolphins. Oh, and we saw more icebergs. There was even snow left in the mountains in Gros Morne Nat’l park. Again we were blessed with a nice sunny day in the 70’s. The weather has been great the whole trip. We’ve only seen a few sprinkles and mostly sunshine.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.129s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0902s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb