June 3rd - Bonavista Pennisula


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader
Saved: August 31st 2019
Edit Blog Post

Who knew there is a town named Lethbridge in Newfoundland? It is a lovely little spot situated on protected Goose Bay.

Keep forgetting to mention that the locals must have a sort of 'spring cleaning' pick-up system through the municipality where the homeowners literally set out all their dump run items by the driveway. There is everything from old mattresses, to rusted kitchen sinks, and stained lazy-boy-chairs.

Entering into Trinity is a picturesque town settled in the 17th Century by the English. It is quiet and serene and like stepping back in time. Further on, Cape Bonavista (Oh happy sight) was discovered by John Cabot in 1497. A full scale replica of his ship Matthew is housed in the interpretation centre. I cannot imagine bobbing around in the ocean in such a small vessel.

Elliston allows visitors to visit some of their 135 root cellars used as cold rooms throughout the winter. They are built low into the hillsides like tiny little hobbit homes. There is also a puffin viewing station to observe over 80,000 of the interesting birds. They were very busy mating and hanging out together on their private island.

Chris and I have driven over 3,000 km. during this week. Do not underestimate the size of Newfoundland. There is just so much to see in this large and varied province.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader_blog_bottom



Comments only available on published blogs

4th June 2015

LOL
I love the "ugly stick", haven't heard that expression for years, either! Very funny, still laughing out loud :) Trinity looks like a great place to film a movie. Very picturesque, and clean! Chris, don't come home with any stuff off the streets!! Love you guys xo

Tot: 0.342s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.1274s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb