Arriving in the Maritimes


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » New Brunswick
September 21st 2017
Published: September 21st 2017
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Our route into the Maritime Provinces


Breakfast Quebec StyleBreakfast Quebec StyleBreakfast Quebec Style

A delicious fruit and custard crepe with fresh squeezed orange juice. A pretty good way to start off the morning.
After leaving Quebec City, we drove along the south shore of the St. Lawrence Seaway until we were north of Maine, then cut east to the eastern shoreline of Canada at Campbellton, New Brunswick (NB). We actually crossed out of Quebec and into NB when we crossed the Restigouche River at a small town named Salmon Lodge. Let me tell you, I was never so glad to see English language road signs again. At least then we knew for sure we weren't lost. We continued down along the river to Campbellton which is right of the mouth of the river as it empties into the Gulf of St. Lawrence.

Our trip across from the St. Lawrence took us right along the Matapedia River, which flows through an absolutely gorgeous canyon. The trees were just starting to turn, so every once in awhile you'd catch a glimpse of bright orange, or red, mixed among the evergreens and those deciduous trees that are slower to turn. Unfortunately, the day we traveled was rather rainy and overcast, so it did dampen the photo taking opportunities quite a bit. We discovered later that it is one of the best salmon fishing rivers in the
Corridors of TreesCorridors of TreesCorridors of Trees

Much of the ride out of Quebec and into New Brunswick was a continuous ride done corridors of trees, pretty but after awhile it got a little tedious. You can see some color starting to pop.
country, which explains why we saw so many people fishing the river, mostly with waders. The VIA Rail route between Quebec and Halifax also runs through this canyon.

From Campbellton we continued south to Bathurst where we stayed overnight. The next day we continued along the shores of the Gulf of St. Lawrence and crossed a 9-mile bridge across the Northumberland Straight onto Prince Edward Island (PEI). We continued into Charlottetown and stayed there for two nights. PEI reminds me a lot of traveling up around Puget Sound with all of the inlets and bays, and especially on Whidbey Island. There is a great mix of evergreen and deciduous trees, but none of them are so large as to overpower the scenery as they do in Oregon.

Tomorrow we head back across the long bridge and continue south and east on our way to Newfoundland. More later.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Fall Flowers on PEIFall Flowers on PEI
Fall Flowers on PEI

We were surprised at how many flowers were still blooming at this time of fall.
A Typical PEI Coastal CommunityA Typical PEI Coastal Community
A Typical PEI Coastal Community

Lobster fishing is a big part of the economy of PEI, and you can see it reflected in the style of boats moored in the marinas.
An inter-island ferryAn inter-island ferry
An inter-island ferry

Ferries are in integral part of the transportation network in this area. This one is leaving Souris on PEI and heading out to an island off shore. About a 5-hour trip one way.
Portuguese Fish and Chips on PEIPortuguese Fish and Chips on PEI
Portuguese Fish and Chips on PEI

We found a nice seafood restaurant overlooking the harbor in Souris, and it turns out the chef is Portuguese, so there was a definite Portuguese flavor to the menu (along with some local PEI beer).


Tot: 0.164s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 58; dbt: 0.1124s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb