How did I forget Quebec?


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Quebec » Québec City
September 21st 2017
Published: September 21st 2017
Edit Blog Post

After posting the last blog I discovered that I had totally forgot to address our time in Quebec. Talk about brain dead. So this is my supplemental to rectify that oversight.

We were in Quebec for 2 days, 3 nights. We enjoyed the city immensely, smaller and more quaint than Montreal. But we were still frustrated by the whole shroud of French that existed, especially in the signage, both public and private. But fortunately language didn't end up being an issue at all.

On our first day (Saturday) we toured around the city, visited the few antique shops we could find (didn't find many and NO train shops!) and had lunch at a pretty good restaurant. On Sunday we thought we'd take advantage of what we hoped would be an off day to take one of the open-top bus tours around the city. While there weren't as many people around as there had been on Saturday, there were still quite a few. We discovered on the tour that it was because two cruise ships were in port. We had heard that a number of cruise ships that had originally planned to cruise the Caribbean had been redirected to the Maritimes due to the hurricanes that were pummeling the area. These were probably some of those. We also saw a large cruise ship in Charlottetown, PEI, when we were there.

Anyway, we got on the bus and the tour was quite good. Drove all over the Quebec metro area and saw an impressive mix of old and new throughout the city. Hard to describe, so I've included several pictures from the tour. The most impressive sight was the Hotel Frontenac, which was located right in the heart of the historic old town which was at the beginning of the tour. After the tour, we headed out of town a few miles to a brew pub that we'd read about, Archibald's. Really nice place with a great selection of both food and beer.

We really enjoyed our time here, and the city is very quaint and picturesque.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

A great example of Copper RoofingA great example of Copper Roofing
A great example of Copper Roofing

Lots of buildings in the downtown area use copper roofing, both old and new. There are also other types of metal roofing prevalent in the area.
Part of the lower town area (along the river)Part of the lower town area (along the river)
Part of the lower town area (along the river)

This lower town section houses some of the arts stores in the historic area. It also hosts lots of neat murals.


Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0435s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb