Day 14


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » New Brunswick » Saint John
August 4th 2011
Published: August 5th 2011
Edit Blog Post

We're running out of days in Canada, but we are still seeing some cool sites. We headed north out of Charlottetown up to the north coast and walked on the red sandy shores of the Gulf of St. Lawrence. The water was pretty cold but people still swim in it. We didn't see anybody swimming when we were there as it was only 65 degrees. Lots of cottages everywhere and it looks to be a very popular place for Canadian summer vacations. We stopped at a local market and purchased a bag of new potatos. There are potato farms everywhere on the island, and the dirt is red. We also stopped at the House of Green Gables in Cavendish and that was interesting. Just stayed long enough to snap a few photos and then we headed towards the Confederation Bridge that connects Prince Edward Island with New Brunswick. The bridge is 7 or 8 miles long and crosses the Northumberland Strait. Arrived in New Brunswick around noon and proceeded south to Saint John, New Brunswick. We are staying on the top floor of the Hilton and have a beautiful view of the Bay of Fundy and the harbour. Supposed to be alot of whales in the southern sections and we'd like to stop and see them, but we'll probably be running low on time and have to pass that up. We'll see... Well, to keep Patsy happy, we stopped at the BigTide Brewery/resturant to eat (and maybe have a beer or 2). I kept my "eat seafood everynight" streak going by having the salmon, and Janet had the beer batter haddock. Very good! And, the beer was good too! The Canadian pub crawl continues! We then walked about town observing all the old homes and churches and wouldn't you know, we ended up at the local beer store. So, we got a few local beers and a small bottle of champagne to celebrate our Canadian adventure. We have 2 long days of driving ahead of us and hope to get an early start in the morning.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

mugging for the cameramugging for the camera
mugging for the camera

some guy saw my NASA shirt and proceeded to tell us he's friends with Charlie Bolden (head NASA guy). Had a nice chat...
we found a moosewe found a moose
we found a moose

in downtown Saint John!
typical road in Saint Johntypical road in Saint John
typical road in Saint John

the white house is supposedly the oldest in town. Built in 1784.
Saint JohnSaint John
Saint John

one of the old churches


Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0443s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb