Even more along Fundy


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » New Brunswick » Saint Andre
September 27th 2011
Published: September 27th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Hi, Friends –
The next several photos are of Grand Manan Island. It was our first trip there, although we’d been to Campobello and Deer Islands before which are nearby. All three of these islands are considered part of New Brunswick and are quite close to Maine. We took an hour and a half ferry ride to get there and then, three days later, to return to the mainland. For the first two days, we had heavy fog and couldn’t see much, so the first day we had some good down time in our cozy camper with our fuzzy, warm travel cats and some good TV stations. The second day we went for 2-hour walk to see something called “Hole in the Wall” – a tough walk with a lot of climbing and slippery cliff tops.
The third day, Sunday, was gloriously sunny and we finally got to really see this lovely island. The drive from end to end along the main road takes about 50 – 60 minutes and there are lots of side roads and even an island one can drive to during low tide.
One of the first things I wanted to do was to buy some dulse. Grand Manan is renowned for its dulse, a seaweed that some islanders gather, dry and then sell. It’s eaten as a snack and put in soups and salads. The first time I ate dulse was in Nova Scotia nine years ago. I thought it was so good I ate quite a handful . Unfortunately, the person who sold it didn’t mention that dulse has a strong laxative effect. This reality hit me, so to speak, as Bob and I were wandering a deserted beach in some lonely part of Nova Scotia an hour or so later. Miracle of miracles, way down that lonely beach I spotted . . . an outhouse. I haven’t had dulse since, but it is good and I’ll be more judicious this time around.
Our cat Becky gave us something of a scare. Apparently, the truck noises coming over on the ferry freaked her out and then we freaked out when we couldn't find her in the camper at the end of the ferry ride. Did she get out the door somehow and now was tearing around the inside of the ferry? We finally found her inside a pillowcase. Along with the pillow.
More photos coming from our sunny day in Grand Manon.
Paula & Bob



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.352s; Tpl: 0.036s; cc: 13; qc: 68; dbt: 0.0925s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb