Digby Neck


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Nova Scotia » Digby
September 25th 2011
Published: September 25th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Hello again --

Right now we're on Grand Manan Island, having come over yesterday on the Digby ferry. The fog was heavy all yesterday and we've had heavy rain today, but it's forecast to be sunny tomorrow so we should get some good photos before we leave. Several days ago, after we left the town of Truro, the "head" of the Bay of Fundy, we headed down the northwestern coast of Nova Scotia to the very tip, Brier Island on the end of Digby Neck which required taking two ferries each way. Here are some photos of our trip.

In the first photo, you can see enclosures which are used for raising salmon. You can see in the next photo a sign, one of a great many we saw in the area, indicating that there is a good deal of local opposition to fish farming.

The little seal pup worried us -- Bob, me and a kind gentleman from Calgary --because he was all alone and seemed quite uncomfortable on the rocks. Finally, to our relief, he was able to struggle through the thick seaweed and plop into the water.

Westport on Brier Island is picturesque but also showing the effects of how the Canadian Maritime fishing industry has been hurt by the area's being fished out. Many fish shacks are sitting empty. Fortunately, the lobster business is still thriving. The season begins later in the fall and traps (pots) are stacked everywhere we look.

The next blog will be about Grand Manan Island -- if the fog ever lifts.

Best, Paula & Bob




Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

WESTPORT ON BRIER ISLANDWESTPORT ON BRIER ISLAND
WESTPORT ON BRIER ISLAND

A typical fishing village.
JOSUA-SLOCUM-PLAQUEJOSUA-SLOCUM-PLAQUE
JOSUA-SLOCUM-PLAQUE

Josua Slocum was the first person to sail around the world by himself. He left in 1895 and returned three years later. He lived in this town of Westport until he left for the sea at age 16.
JOSHUA-SLOCUM-FISHING-SHACKJOSHUA-SLOCUM-FISHING-SHACK
JOSHUA-SLOCUM-FISHING-SHACK

Deserted like so many others . . .
WE-GOT-OURS-.-.-.WE-GOT-OURS-.-.-.
WE-GOT-OURS-.-.-.

We fished out a Loony and bought one of these agates - a nice reminder of our trip.
LIGHTHOUSE-PHOTOLIGHTHOUSE-PHOTO
LIGHTHOUSE-PHOTO

Bob's photo. We're a good team.


25th September 2011

Jealous!
I want to see the Bay of Fundy myself. It's the largest tidal flow in the world and I photographed the second largest this summer, Cook Inlet in Alaska. Also, I've read Slocum's book, an astounding story. Looks like you're having a wonderful time!

Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.038s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb