A Quick Tootle Back Through the Country


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Manitoba » Winnipeg
September 1st 2008
Published: September 1st 2008
Edit Blog Post

smoldering remains smoldering remains smoldering remains

of a forest fire just 100 km south of Yellowknife, NWT
Hello!

We rocketed out of Yellowknife. We drove 3500 km back to Sioux Lookout, Ontario in 5 days! Whew! Huge waterfalls and herds of bison lined the road as we headed out of the Northwest Territories. A seemingly endless expanse of forest sprawled for the first five hundred miles of Northern Alberta before thinning and flattening out into prairie.

The mighty sky of the prairies and millions of heads of wheat welcomed us into Saskatchewan and Manitoba. We spent a night in Regina, SK with Karen (thanks Karen, you're the best!) then a couple of nights in Winnipeg with Moe (thanks so much Moey, you’re the best as well!) before making the drive to Sioux Lookout...

We stayed in Sioux Lookout for a few days then made a jaunt up to Pickle Lake to help Matt (canoe guide, extraordinaire) transport gear and fellow adventurers to the Pipestone River. The weather was beautiful and sunny and the landscape was lush boreal forest dotted with many lakes and rivers. These have been the hottest temps we've had our entire trip! (better late than never!)

We hiked up Sioux mountain today in the 30 degree heat, then went for a refreshing swim in Pelican lake to cool off. The water is getting cooler as the evenings get closer to the zero mark.
In case you’re wondering, our travels are not quite over (they’re never over) so stay tuned for a new chapter of adventure....perhaps something with ice? or claws? or both?
Cheers and new careers!
Dave and Theresa.




Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Matt (Canoe Guide) and the guysMatt (Canoe Guide) and the guys
Matt (Canoe Guide) and the guys

starting point at Pipestone River
fancy photo by Theresafancy photo by Theresa
fancy photo by Theresa

empty oil drums at airport in Pickle Lake, formally used to fly fuel to the northern communities.
top of Sioux Mountaintop of Sioux Mountain
top of Sioux Mountain

Sioux lookout, Ontario


1st December 2009

Pelican Ice
your article mentions Matt a tour guide - do you know his last name - what years were this - I had a great uncle Matt - aka Kjeild Peter Madsen who went by Matt died in 1995 - could this be the same person - looking to hear from you.. many thanks in advance.

Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0318s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb