Bears and Caribou.


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Manitoba » Churchill
September 10th 2009
Published: September 11th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Hi there.
The bears have been putting on quite the show in the last few days as we have seen two different bears eating two different caribou carcasses! I am guessing that the wolves killed the caribous as we saw their tracks nearby. As the bears have been picking away at carcasses, I have been picking blueberries and other wild berries. It takes a while to pick any quantity, so its usually just pick 'em and eat 'em as I find them! The last of the flowers have bloomed and most are now gone, the shrubs are turning red and brown as fall moves in quickly.
We are working like crazy in the garage to get everything ready for the insane bear season ahead of us!
I am sure it will all go to plan, but we still have a lot to do...

Churchill is not famous for it's warm weather, but believe it or not we were Manitoba's hot-spot the other day when the mercury climbed to 29.9 Celsius! So it officially didn't make it to 30, but it was nice to wear my shorts at least once this summer.

Dave...


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

A tasty caribou carcass.A tasty caribou carcass.
A tasty caribou carcass.

The caribou must have been killed by wolves only a few hours before we were there as the guts were still in a pile on the ground and there were no ravens scavenging on the delicious leftovers.
Buggy 6Buggy 6
Buggy 6

From the top of an abandoned military observation tower.
Crow berriesCrow berries
Crow berries

An edible berry, Even tastier after the first frost.
Bear berriesBear berries
Bear berries

Although they aren't particularly tasty, they are commonly eaten by the Inuit.
Rock tripeRock tripe
Rock tripe

A lichen that is common near the coast. It was used as a soup thickener by the Inuit, Dene and Cree, who all called this area home at one point.
Star gentianStar gentian
Star gentian

This flower usually has five petals. It is rare to see only four.
Different bear, different caribou carcassDifferent bear, different caribou carcass
Different bear, different caribou carcass

The chances of seeing a bear eating a caribou carcass is slim! But to see it twice in a week is exceptional!
A mother and her calfA mother and her calf
A mother and her calf

Trotting across the tidal flats.


11th February 2011
Arctic bilberry (blueberry)

Cool

Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0488s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb