Blooming tundra


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Manitoba » Churchill
August 12th 2009
Published: August 13th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Fort Prince of WalesFort Prince of WalesFort Prince of Wales

Trading post for the Hudson's Bay Company, built between 1731 and 1771.
Greetings fellow Earthlings.

Firstly, I'd like to welcome the warmth into Northern Manitoba. Things have finally warmed up a bit, although, as part of a package deal, with the slightest hint of heat - come the mosquitoes, black flies and giant deer flies. Unfortunately, the bugs have not eaten as well as the polar bears, and therefore will take a chuck of flesh out of you the instant you go outside.
The flowers are in full bloom right now too! It really is an unbelievable sight - all those colours!
The sea ice is still there, but it's just a wee bit beyond the horizon so it can only be seen on very clear days in the form of a Phantom morgana mirage (an inverted image of the ice in the sky) and it is something really amazing to see. For some reason the phantom morganas can't be seen through a camera lens?
We have had polar bears wandering through town everyday! George (our garage manager) had a bear in his back yard and it knocked his barbeque over! A few days ago one walked right down the main drag (Kelsey Boulevard), right in the middle of the road in broad daylight.

I have made a a few trips across the Churchill River, watching beluga whales swimming and some polar bears swimming! The hiking on the other side of the river is great, there are a lot of Inuit ruins and relics from the old HBC (Hudson's Bay Company) fur trading era. Fort Prince of Wales being the star of the show.

We are all hammering away at the garage, lots of hours to be worked, we've been doing some pretty neat overhauls to the buggies! I also had to go to the airport in a Tundra Buggy and pick up 38 clients, it was quite the show as i maneuvered my way through the parking lot trying not to crush the cars...!
I hope everyone else is having fun!?
Dave


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

The CanonsThe Canons
The Canons

Old Canons from the Hudson Bay Company's Fort.
Dwarf Labrador TeaDwarf Labrador Tea
Dwarf Labrador Tea

The leaves can be used to make a tasty hot drink.
Bonfire at Mike'sBonfire at Mike's
Bonfire at Mike's

Down by the Churchill River, on the flats just out of town.
Fog over the portFog over the port
Fog over the port

Canada's only Arctic seaport, almost hidden by the fog.
Lady Franklins SlipperLady Franklins Slipper
Lady Franklins Slipper

A fairly common orchid in the area.
Marsh ragwortMarsh ragwort
Marsh ragwort

In seed - most of the ragwort is still in flower?
AzaleaAzalea
Azalea

To really appreciate the flowers of the arctic region, you have to get down on your hands and knees.
Common ButterwortCommon Butterwort
Common Butterwort

One of the few carnivorous plants in the arctic. It's leaves are covered in sticky hairs which trap small insects. the plant then digests them through it's leaves.
Pre-Dorset tent ringsPre-Dorset tent rings
Pre-Dorset tent rings

On the western shore of the Churchill river there are several Dorset and Pre-Dorset sites. Dating back 3500 years.


13th August 2009

great
As always, great photos. Seriously -- turn them into postcards or stock photos to sell! I love the name of Lady Franklin's Slipper. The shots of the Fort are great -- didn't get a chance to see it while I was there and always wondered what it was like. The Buggy at the airport is hilarious!
13th August 2009

Thanks again for your blog. It has made my eagerness to visit the arctic grow ten fold. I see that everyone is dressed pretty warm. Do I even bother grabbing a pair of shorts for the trip? Have you ever been on the "muskeg express"? Any suggestions... I thought I would bring my thin sleeping bag? I plan on bringing you some fruit in thanks for your pictures and blog! See you guys for a drink on Tuesday night? marcey
13th August 2009

Flowers
The pictures of these flowers are stunning!!! Thanks also for the interesting historical facts, that as a native Manitoba, I am ashamed to admit, I had no knowledge of. Keep those blogs coming!!
25th March 2010

this was the best placxe to get my answers

Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 11; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0268s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb