Easin' Into Big Waters Crossing the Georgia Strait


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » British Columbia
August 11th 2017
Published: August 15th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


FROM AMA LOG

Friday, 8/11/17

DEPART: Henry Bay @ 0545

ARRIVE: Squirrel Cove @ 1110

NM: 32



WEATHER: Clear and calm early morning departure. Sky is light blue and hazy sky (from smoke) obscures some heat from the hot summer sun. We enjoyed light winds in the am and increasing to 10 -12 knots while crossing the Georgia Strait.



PILOTAGE: Early risers got us underway by 0545 (5:45am) making us the first boat to leave Henry Bay. Having said our goodbyes the night before, we slipped away quietly and were just past the bar into the Georgia Strait before we were hailed by Silhouette to say one last farewell and we’ll see ya’ in Nanaimo on our return.

A short day cruising across the Strait with jib and mizzen sails up for steadying and an extra knot of speed. We arrive at Squirrel Cove Resort; tying up to the government float for a quick trip to the store for fresh bread and Wi-Fi. After wandering around the cove, we find a beautiful anchorage just inside the opening to the harbor where we catch late afternoon drowsy breezes before searching for a trailhead to Van Dobb Inlet, supposedly a short walk from our end. We never did find the trail but did get a good workout taking turns rowing.

We enjoy cockpit sun showers, warmed by the day’s solar heater. The first real rain of the trip caught us just before sunset. Light drizzle that left brown speckled; smoke stains on the decks for a few minutes before being rain-washed away. The

Intermittent showers, during dinner, kept us inside Ama for the first time of our journey.

No hot water to wash dishes led to a full review of last year’s maintenance log, had us reminiscing about our trip to Alaska and the adventures in getting there!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 6; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0264s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb