Day 1 of our Tour


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » British Columbia
July 3rd 2017
Published: July 4th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Ab at Hell's GateAb at Hell's GateAb at Hell's Gate

The water boils through the narrow canyon.
June 29th - Now it all starts. We will be so busy, it is hard to find time to write. Not only that we seldom have internet. Over to the mainland by ferry, then we follow my river, the Fraser all the way to Agassiz. What a beautiful drive along the river. We dry camp at Agassiz Fairgrounds. We were supposed to be able to swim at the rec centre, but couldn't find the pool. It was really hot so we tried to find the outdoor pool, but they didn't open to the public till 630 at night. Several cars from the Fraser Valley came out to visit us and give us a send off.

June 30th - Agassiz to Lillooet. Still following the Fraser. We stopped at Hell's Gate and went down on the tram, something we had never done before. We went through Lytton and over Hwy 12 to Lillooet. It has been a long time since we traveled this route. The road is much improved but several people still found it very rough. Several people reported seeing Mountain Goats.

Again the local car clubs came out to see the cars at our camp. We shared
Welcome DanceWelcome DanceWelcome Dance

The kids were adorable. Nice to see the traditions being passed down
a campsite with three other trailers and all had hydro by plugging one into the other. I walked down to the river to cool off but the water was running to fast at the spot we went to. Others found a place where they could go in and get their feet wet. We were served a marvelous salmon dinner by local First Nations. They also entertained us with some of their songs and dances as well as demonstrations. They served us Indian Ice Cream made from "sopalila" berries. Yuck! I had that as a young person and it was no better now than it was then. It was interesting for everyone to see how it was made. They showed how they dried salmon Sampling that was a very tasty treat. All in all, the stop in Lillooet was enjoyable and worth while.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Salmon BbqSalmon Bbq
Salmon Bbq

What a spread! Sorry but I have to try to remember to turn the pics around before I upload them. I will try harder next time. (Maybe)
Lucas at the front of the lineLucas at the front of the line
Lucas at the front of the line

It was a very tasty meal.
GrizzlyGrizzly
Grizzly

I forget what the dance and song was about other than to honour the Grizzly.
GrizzliesGrizzlies
Grizzlies

Here the kids are copying the grizzly's actions


4th July 2017

We too are enjoying meeting up with friends we made from the 2000 Tour and also making new friends. The triip across Canada will be most enjoyable once again? New scenery, new friends and renewed relationships!!

Tot: 0.042s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0241s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb