Day 8-All Aboard Holland America


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » British Columbia
July 27th 2012
Published: July 29th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Today is an exciting day. We board our cruise ship MSAmsterdam from the Holland Amercia line in Seattle, Pier 91 around 11:00 for a 5 pm departure. Today and tomorrow we'll be cruising the Vancover Island area with out first port of call Sunday in Ketchikan, Alaska.

Last night we stayed at the Marriott Springhill Suites in Downtown Seattle. Don't recommend as it is right near the highway and noisy. Did very much enjoy the Blueacre restaurant where we had dinner last night. We are able to get a $7 shuttle to the Pier however so that's a plus. Nice breakfast was also provided.Large room for our al suitcases was a plus as well.

More to come once we board the ship. (I am writing the remainder of this on Sunday as I found free internet in Ketchkikan, the ship charges-a lot!)

Time to catch up. Our shuttle dropped us off right at Pier 91. A Holland America porter took our luggage, we past through security and customs and after about an hour wait, we boarded the ship, the MSAmsterdam without further delay. See picture. Very hassle free and easy.

Once on board we had lunch, got into our cabin and unpacked and left to explore the ship. Of course, we had to hit the welcome aboard champagne reception but didn't win any prices. We found excellent classical music at the Explorer Lounge, which is now our favorite place on the ship. They have secret Chocolates every night (a HAL employee tipped me off before we boarded the ship) and we will be there every night!

Attended the opening show which was basically a preview of the entertainment acts on the ship, so found excellent groups that we will be listening to on the cruise.

Our first dinner in the LaFontaine Restaurant was a big disappointment. We were with group of 8, nice folks, but food service was a disaster and food when served, was warm at best. After the entire table complained, we were well taken care of the next day (more on that for Day 8 discussion).

Cabin is very comfortable, inside middle of the ship on Main deck (level 2) and we like it. Ok signing off! P.S. Pictures from today are not uploading for some reason so hopefully will not be the case in future blogs.

Bob and Susan

Advertisement



Tot: 0.215s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0478s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb