Pilgrimage to the Rockies


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » British Columbia
September 10th 2005
Published: June 1st 2006
Edit Blog Post

Having spent the last couple of months doing nothing in particular, we've decided to leap into action and spend a few weeks travelling around the Rockies in our little car. Why now, you ask? Well, thanks to the end of the school holidays, the world has once again become blissfully peaceful so we are less likely to be trampled by herds of families, caravans and biting dogs, desperately trying to cram as much into their vacations as humanly possible. Summer is, perhaps, not the best time to sightsee in Canada if you want to keep your sanity. The other advantage of heading off in Fall is that, being shoulder season, everything is cheaper. We plan to camp or live in our car to save even more money, although the wisdom of doing this in September/ October in the Rockies (= mountains, i.e. notoriously cold and snowy) is yet to be determined. But someone's got to try it, eh? This is, after all, another one of Pippi and Quin's crazy budget adventures across the world, where mainstream considerations like not freezing to death and proper nourishment will not stand in the way of us trying to save a buck. Even if I do only have a sleeping bag rated to +10oC :-).

Finally, the best thing about going in September is that it is elk rutting season, during which time the fine bull elks become especially 'excited', take over the towns and start charging anything and everything in their way, including hapless tourists. That in itself was enough to convince us to hit the road.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.12s; Tpl: 0.032s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0574s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb