Powell River by Zoe, 5 Pin Bowling Champion!!!!


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » British Columbia
January 19th 2011
Published: January 19th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Wednesday 29th December 2010: Travel day.
So we flew from Washington DC to Powell River, while we were in Vancouver we had a yummy lunch at a pub recommended to us by Paul. We were lucky that the bad weather didn’t affect our travels, though there was a lot of snow on the ground when we landed in Minneapolis for one of our stop overs! So we arrived in Powell River and were greeted by Paul, Brett’s old boss from London. We ate a quick dinner and went to watch the mighty Kings win their hockey match (though missing out on 6 goals and the first period because the game started earlier than we thought). Then it was off to bed for a well deserved sleep.

Thursday 30th December 2010: Brettie’s birthday!
Brettie got a book (not at all exciting, but something light for him to carry around!) and cheesecake! Paul and his wife Joan gave us the tour of Powell River, which of course was beautiful. We drove up to Lund, the start of highway 101 – which goes all the way to Chile. Saw some beautiful scenery and massive houses.

Friday 31st December 2010: Wedding day. (Happy
Brettie, Joan and PaulBrettie, Joan and PaulBrettie, Joan and Paul

Big Italian wedding!
birthday to Mum and Aunty!)
So we were invited to a wedding reception on New Year’s Eve by a family friend of Paul and Joan’s. Big Italian wedding! Dani and her new husband Ant were kind enough to invite us last minute and we had a great time, lots of good food, 9 plus courses was had by all, plus a lot of fun dancing. We rung in the New Year in style.

Saturday 1st January 2011: Sleeping in day.
Saturday was a quiet day – we went for a walk along Willingdon Beach and watched dozens of sea lions making a racket. Then we walked up to the top of Valentine Mountain and had a great view of Powell River and surrounding area.

Sunday 2nd January 2011: Relaxing day.
So today we played games and were entertained by Finn, Paul and Joan’s grandson. Read a lot and surfed the internet. There were lots of days like this, but Brett and I both needed it, we had seen enough ‘kulture’ to last us a long time.

Monday 3rd January 2011: Inland lake day.
So today Paul, Joan, Brettie and I went for a walk around Inland Lake,
Willingdon BeachWillingdon BeachWillingdon Beach

Sea lions galore
we weren’t able to walk all the way around because the water level had risen and walking through frozen water wasn’t something that we were prepared to do. Took some pretty lovely photos while we were there – stunning as Brett would say.

Tuesday 4th January 2011: Hockey day.
So during the day we did nothing, woo hoo! It was nice to not have to carry our backpacks around with us too and packing and unpacking them continuously! We went to the hockey again and saw the Kings, they won again, even though they weren’t fielding a full strength team, with several players out with injuries and suspension. One player threw up on one the coaches during one of the breaks. (Although I kinda sound like I know what I’m talking about, I was a little bored during the game at times, having little power naps, being woken up suddenly by the puck or the players hitting the wall.

Wednesday 5th January 2011: Bowling day!
So Brettie and I went bowling – it felt like we had been transported back to the 70’s the bowling lanes were that old, but they were super cool! So we played one
Inland LakeInland LakeInland Lake

Not sure which way is up
game of ten pin – Brett was the ultimate ten pin champion, then we played 2 games of five pin bowling, which we hadn’t really heard of until we came to Canada. But there are 5 pins (obviously) and you use a smaller bowl to knock them over. The pins are set up in a V shape, with the front pin worth 5 points, the next two pins are worth 3 points and the last two pins are worth 2 points.

And I was the 5 pin champion! Brett said that he doesn’t really like five pin bowling, I wonder why?!?!?!?

Thursday 6th January 2011: Another relaxing day.
So today Brettie and I did a bit of shopping, then lunch at a local Thai restaurant. We walked home, up a steep hill that I was getting used to walking up. And just chilled the rest of the day. Paul hurt his back while taking down the Christmas lights, so Joan had taken him to the Dr’s, thankfully no broken bones and some good pain killers were taken to dull the pain.

Friday 7th January 2011: Leaving Powell River day.
We got up early to catch the ferry/bus
Inland LakeInland LakeInland Lake

My gorgeous boy
back to Vancouver. Paul and Joan were lovely enough to drive us to the ferry early Friday morning, Paul was feeling a lot better, although this could have been down to the pain killers. 2 ferry and 2 bus rides later we were in Vancouver.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0494s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb