Vancouver Island


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » British Columbia
July 24th 2019
Published: July 24th 2019
Edit Blog Post

On Sunday, we went to Cathedral Grove, a beautiful wooded area with trees up to 800 years old. In the afternoon, the boys and Bob took out kayaks and went fishing while Cathy and I relaxed in the backyard. They caught several rockfish but released them as they hadn't looked up in advance what the restrictions were for size/season. They had a great time. We watched a movie after dinner.
On Monday, it was time to move again, but just a short move, to visit my friend Carley and her family, who live about a 20 min drive from Bob. We went to McGill together for 1st year university, that's where we met. Carley went on to med school and became an emergency room doctor (and I left after 1st year and took off traveling). The last time I was Carley was 13 years ago, when my boys were 1 1/2 and 3 1/2. She met up with us in Florida and we took a cruise together to get back to Roatan, where we all got off and she stayed with us for a couple weeks. She now has a husband and 2 kids, so we had lots of catching up to do!
Carley had worked the night shift, so she was sleeping, but her husband came to pick us up, and we hung out with her kids, 6 and 8, until she woke. Then we all went to a beach on a lake together. They brought along a couple paddle boards, so the kids had a great time. After, we went back to their place, and made pizza. The boys got to try driving the riding lawnmower, which they loved.
Today, we went to check out sand sculptures, as there was a town on the island that had just finished a professional sand sculpture competition. Then we went to a kids park, got lunch and relaxed awhile. Went back to Carley's, and the kids played on the trampoline, then we had to head out for the ferry. We got there 10 min before the 3:55 one, but they said they weren't taking on anyone else, so had to wait til the 5pm ferry. In the meantime, Carley took us to a grocery store so we could pick up some snacks.
We've just arrived back to West Van, about 8pm, as qe had to wait almost 30 min for a bus, must have just missed the last one.


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.163s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 5; qc: 46; dbt: 0.088s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb