Shearwater


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » British Columbia
June 13th 2018
Published: June 22nd 2018
Edit Blog Post

6/13/18 Shearwater



Coming into Shearwater is a little like coming to home port, even when there’s no room for us at the dock, we are welcomed heartily by Kristof who invites us to tie up to the breakwater, a first for us, but we are greeted by two Saltspring Isl. sailors taking advantage of the low rent district and it isn’t long before a pair of eagles join us, swooping down from huge pines on shore to the float logs off our stern, and back again. They feast on fresh fish, chatter and squawk, keeping them, and us, fully entertained.



We’ve made it 520 miles and are almost to the northernmost part of our trip. With great sadness we cover the Petrol Free Boat stickers while we add some nasty diesel to our port tank that is making the engine run poorly. Peter figures the biodiesel fuel got out of spec from a filter that may have froze last winter. So we belly up to the fuel docks and repeat how frustrating it is not to be able to get good clean fuel for Ama.



The rest of Shearwater Resort is lovely. Captain Bobby coffee drinks at Hodge Podge delight Peter almost as much as me getting unfettered access to wifi, though unsecured, so I also double the number of SPAM emails, this time mostly in German and Russian. Maybe it’s because world cup soccer is on and Russia wins the first game.



Once we are tied to our regular spot on the dock, memories of Howard & Linda make us want to share our fresh crab and prawns as they did with us on our first meeting. We walk the docks, past millionaires row and over to our favorite area on the fishing boat docks. Zach, one of the fuel dock operators, just scored a very old, but not too leaky, lug of a fish boat. It looks like a lifetime project to me, but he’s happy swapping stories with Peter about the soundness of the hull and all he has to do is replace all the wiring, plumbing and interiors and says he only has a few planks and dry rot to deal with, whew! Looks like it needs a coat of paint too.







6/14/15

Crab pots out in Kwakushdish Harbor

No wildlife in sight but hearing wolves in the distance keeps us attentive for more


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.032s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0153s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb