Vancouver 1


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » British Columbia
May 23rd 2018
Published: May 24th 2018
Edit Blog Post

We arrived here in Vancouver yesterday after a good flight with amazing views of Greenland and then the Rockies. We were welcomed with beautiful weather and today has seen more of the same. Having purchased a day ticket for most of Vancouver's local transportation we boarded the skytrain to the waterfront. Here we walked to Canada Place, which is Vancouver's cruise terminal, where 2 ships were docked on their way to Alaska. Our original plan for the day was to hire 2 bikes and visit Stanley Park, but the lovely weather caused a change of itinerary and we caught the sea bus over to North Vancouver. Here we boarded a local bus to the base of Grouse Mountain. After handing over an eye-watering amount of Canadian dollars we boarded the Skyride up the mountain. This is the largest tramway system in North America and in 8 minutes we were transported to another world. It was rather surreal to be walking in shorts and sandals along pathways lined by 4 foot walls of snow!
Here we saw 2 grizzly bears, Grinder and Cool a, who were both orphaned in 2001 and now live there. We are hoping to see wild bears on our trip, but these 2 will have to do for now. We also saw a bird flying demo and a rather corny but still entertaining lumberjack show. The views of the surrounding mountains and down to Vancouver were amazing, particularly against the brilliant blue sky. There was also a peak chairlift up to the mountain's summit, where yet more extraordinary views were experienced. We both thoroughly enjoyed our change of plan and felt the trip was worth the expenditure. Let's hope the weather holds tomorrow for our bike ride.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



24th May 2018

Great start!
Sounds like you’ve had a brilliant start to your trip. Hope you get to do the bike ride to, and around Stanley Park - worth it for the totem poles alone, but great scenery too. Hope the rest of the trip goes as well as the first day. By the way, we’re sitting listening to sheep baaing all around us at the Isaac Walton hotel, recommended by Ian and Jan. Dancing was a bit depleted on Tuesday- just the faithful four xx
25th May 2018

Green with envy.
Think I have got the hang of this now! So glad sun is shining for you. They are float planes by the way!! Just showing off. Enjoy.

Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.023s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0269s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb