We'll be coming down the mountain - FAST


Advertisement
Published: June 25th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 50.1183, -122.954

What a day filled with surprises. A Zippity Doo day alright!

Started with breakfast in the Village with Mindy. (Feeling a little guilty - Ian had to work while we were out having fun - oops, sorry.)

We dashed down into the Village for a happy hour special only to find that it was a Monday to Friday deal. Who even knew it was the weekend? We certainly didn't. Apparently it's Sunday today. Missed a "bargain" but the brekkie was delicious and set us up for the perfect start to the day.

Off to The Salomon Store to hire a couple of bikes to explore Lost Lake. They supplied a lock so that we could keep the bikes secure. Unfortunately, the lock kept the bikes so secure we couldn't unlock them and Mindy and Mac drew a few giggles as they tromped, wheeled and carried the bikes, chained together, back up the Main Street of The Village to get alternate keys to de-twin the bikes.

All fixed and after some very experimental "get your leg over" moves and constant seat adjustments we were on our way. Two bikes shared amongst three. Mac, despite not being on a bike since the Dubbo Zoo visit when Mindy was 6 was up and away with no trouble. He has obviously been inspired by years of watching Le Tour de France. Me on the other hand, I was the downhill specialist - was truly at my best when no pedalling or change of direction was required. As soon as there was an incline I had to call in Mindy the cross country expert! The ride home was all downhill and I took off - the only thing that could have stopped me would be a bear!

Lost Lake was absolutely beautiful- crystal clear water, surrounded by snow capped peaks and dotted with recreational pontoons. You can ride, then leave the bikes (with aforementioned chain) and explore down to the water's edge. And because the sun was out there were lots of people enjoying the sunshine and even some sun bathers. Mindy and Mac challenged each other on the log walk and I was just waiting for one of them to tumble in as they started doing the one legged "dad dance."

But this was all just the prelude to the zip lining. Mindy led and we followed. Mac knew what we were signing up for because he had watched the online video of the ride. I was clueless.

We arrived for the signup hoping that we could piggy back with the last group of the day. We signed up, had our weigh in (your weight in pounds is much scarier than in kilos just BTW), signed the indemnity form and were in the shuttle bus at 4 on our way to Cougar Mountain. Maddie was there to greet us with just the right amount of enthusiasm and reassurance. Put on the plastic helmet (must have been for looks) stepped into the harness and listened intently to the safety guidelines. No turning back.

We were loaded into off road vehicles and Hal took us on a bone shattering ride through the forestry track to the first platform.

The #Fab5-1 had tried out the zip line in Fremont Street in Vegas so that was my only reference point for comparison. This WAS NOTHING LIKE THAT. This zip line traversed the valley, 600 feet above the ground, at speeds in excess of 100 kph and the dual lines stretched from one mountain to the next.

We were there and yep, again, there was no turning back. Snuggly strapped into the harness, safety gear checked and double checked, the lever was released and we were flying over the edge literally plummeting across the valley on a 1 km long rope of steel. It was exhilarating. The valley echoed with screams of delight!

And the best thing was this was just the first line. There were three more to go and each one was just a little different from the last and offered a unique experience. You walked, carrying your gear, from one platform to the next. Never very far and always well supported. The first ride was the longest - but "Godzilla" the third line was the fastest! Think it was our favourite.

Glad we listened to Mindy and took all our warm gear. It was positively freezing and the speed of the zip line added an extra wind chill factor. One young guy did learn the meaning of freezing because he was wearing just a tank top!

Best experience! Would do it again in a heartbeat. And we were so lucky because Mindy had organised for Maddie to look after us! Very special.

A quick trip back down Cougar Mountain with lots of shared laughter with our fellow flyers. A visit to the grocery store and a walk in bright sunshine back home at 7.30 for a review of the go-pro videos. What a hoot! Still laughing at them and Mindy and I are cobbling them together in an iMovie - think we might need Denise's help!

Hope we have a day off tomorrow - we deserve it. But our Happy Whistler Guide is relentless because "the sun is out." Thinking about sending Mac out to do a rain dance.

Temperature: Whistler Village = 20 Cougar Mountain = 0
Pedometer: 14 560
Bear sightings = 0


Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 25


Advertisement



Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0315s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb