Vancouver to Whistler


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » British Columbia » Whistler
May 21st 2007
Published: August 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hello all

Hope you all enjoying the New Zealand winter!!! 😉

So Emily and I have spent a little over a week in Vancouver, before heading north to Whistler for a few days. Job hunting has pretty much gone out the window, as we've found so many new and exciting things to do.

We've gone to the Museum of Anthropology, the Vancouver art gallery, watched free beach volleyball at Kitlanso beach, gone up Grouse mountain (although we were rather disappointed that the track was closed and we were forced to take the Gondola). Spent a day a Lynn Canyon (note to future travelers - Lynn Cannon is free and has some lovely forest trails and way less touristy than the Capilano suspension bridge).

We ambled down to Chinatown the other day, to poke at all the random dried smelly stuff. Then had a quick glance at the map and noted that Gastown was only three blocks away. So off we went tourist map in hand, about one block later we notice out mistake. It was like we had space warp into the broncs or somewhere else rather unsavory. We were suddenly surrounded by all these drug addicts, prostitutes and mentally unstable people (although they all ignore us). Needless to say, we didn't hang around for long. Two blocks later everything was normal and touristy again, when we hit Gastown. All in all a very strange experience!

It was freezing the day we arrived in Whistler and I made quick use of all my winter clothes! Whistler township is a bizarre town - it’s sort of like a mini Queenstown (or as mum put it like Noddyland). Snow bunnies would love it. The ski lifts go from the town center. This time of year there is a strange mix of mountain bikers and skiers utilizing the same mountain. The YHI is situated about 4km out of town beside Alta lake and has the most awesome alpine view from the window and Mr Jedi (the local beaver) swims past every morning and evening. We had a minor drama getting back to Vancouver as the tour company (West Coast Site Seeing) decided to change our pick up point without informing us, however after one grumpy phone call to the company, they eventually agreed to turn the bus around and come and pick us up. Oh, and we saw the cutest black bear cub (from the safety of the bus) on the way back!!

Right now we are on Vancouver Island, and have spent couple of nights in Victoria, then on to Nanaimo and 3 nights in Tofino. Sorry, no photos again. The hostel computers struggle to read my camera. I'll add them in when I find a faster computer.

Take care
Cielle


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Whistler creekWhistler creek
Whistler creek

This one is for you Jen!


28th May 2007

Hi Ceille Doesn't even sound like WORK is in your vocab anymore. It's -2 here this morning so I feel like I'm in Canada even though I'm not. Not much going on here, Dave left for Aussie on Sunday but failed to say goodbye before he left; rumour flying round here is that Scott Forbes has been managed out of his job and GW are currently looking at restructuring BioWorks. Wayne's been put in charge of it for the time being. Tim B finishes here this Friday and strangely enough Murray is involved in his leaving doo (must be capable of doing it for some but not others ah). Anyway enough, sounds like your having an amazing time over there. Glad you've put the socks, and scarf to good use already. Please keep in touch. Happy travels Michelle
28th May 2007

ooh a bear cub! Exciting!q
and did you meet up with Claire?
30th May 2007

Yep we did. We had a lovely dinner at a local pub. I have a photo to - I'll send it to you soon (when I find a computer that will read my camera!)
2nd June 2007

suppression bridge?
suppression bridge? ha ha Don't you mean Suspension bridge? Though I am very interested in how a suppression bridge would work out! ;-)

Tot: 0.156s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 17; qc: 83; dbt: 0.1141s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.2mb