30 May, 2010 Vanderhoof, BC to Hyder, AK


Advertisement
Published: May 31st 2010
Edit Blog Post

Woke to an incredibly clear blue sky! We got off at 8:30 and headed west on the Yellowhead Highway to Kitwanga where we picked up BC 37 (the Cassiar Highway) headed north toward Watson Lake on the Alaska Highway. We got to Meziadin Provincial Park and the book said that they had no electrical hookups, so we headed down BC 37A to Stewart, since we were going to do that tomorrow anyway. We got to Bear River RV Park only to find out that they will not allow soft sided campers (pop-ups). So we went down to the municipal RV park to find that they were completely closed. While we hadn’t planned on going to Hyder, AK, that is where we wound up - - at Camp Run-A-Muck. LOTS of mosquitos there! Bear River Campground didn’t allow soft sided campers because of the bears. The ride today was much more beautiful than we remembered it being - - possibly because the weather was a low overcast the last time we made this run. The run down 37A to Stewart was magnificent - - Glaciers, LOTS of water falls, steep slopes, fast running rivers - - just awesome! Talk about sensory overload. Did about 375 miles today. Saw a bear, a fox, couple deer, and several bald eagles - - all at about 60 mph, so not one photo !



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Skeena River CanyonSkeena River Canyon
Skeena River Canyon

This is where we saw Indians fishing with gaffs and big dip nets back in 1972
Church in Kitwanga, BCChurch in Kitwanga, BC
Church in Kitwanga, BC

The bell tower next to the church still has the original bell dating back to the late 1800s
One Lane Bridge on  the CassiarOne Lane Bridge on  the Cassiar
One Lane Bridge on the Cassiar

Thie bridge has a span of 400' and the deck is 120+ ft above the water.
Waterfall along BC 37AWaterfall along BC 37A
Waterfall along BC 37A

This is one of litteraly hundreds of waterfalls along the Stewart/Hyder access road.
Bear GlacierBear Glacier
Bear Glacier

This glacier is just across the lake along BC 37A which leads from Meziadin down to Stewart, BC & Hyder, AK


Tot: 0.136s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0742s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb