Cruise Countdown in Vancouver


Advertisement
Published: June 25th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 49.2605, -123.114

A great sleep-in saw us emerge from the Vancouver Fairmont at 11.30 am under clear blue skies and an amazingly warm spring day, just in time to make our way to Gastown via The Hudson Bay store for watch repairs and a visit to the men's department for some shirt top-ups for Mac.

Success on the shirts but no luck in the watch department. After a visit to Dollarama I am now the proud owner of a waterproof LED digital plastic black watch....for the princely sum of $3. Wonder how many days it will last.

Brunch was at a board game pub in Gastown. We skipped the board game and instead chatted with two ladies from Newcastle who had just returned from a cruise. They were good for some inside info on the processes and some recommendations for shore trips. Unfortunately we have missed the June 6 cutoff for prebooking these excursions so will just have to make it our first job on board tomorrow. Our efforts to book online over the last week have been frustrating.

A leisurely lunch was followed by a leisurely coffee and on a very full stomach Mac decided to take the Canada Flyover! This is a 4D ride experience that simulates a fly over of Canada from the east coast to the west coast. Strapped into a moving seat you get to soar over snowy mountain peaks, drop into gorges and through waterfalls and visit iconic landmarks (some we recognised from our trip!) complete with winds, mists and scents.

Mac had been ambivalent about the experience but came out with stomach and balance in tact...me on the other hand ..... sick again! I am letting the team down!

There were two cruise ships in the harbour this afternoon both scheduled for departure between 4 and 5. We joined the crowds at Canada Place to watch the process and wave them goodbye. It was exciting because tomorrow it will be us!

Our plans included a second visit to the Bella Gelateria and we made our way to Cordova Street. Unfortunately, the queue today was 40 metres long! We gave it a miss and then couldn't believe the coincidence of running into Cathy and Robert (from the train) as we were heading up Burrard. What are the odds?

Last stop.....The Drug Store for cruise essentials (for me!!!), a little bit of ironing in preparation and a snack at Notch8. We are not packed.........yet. But with 12 hours till boarding we have heaps of time.

And so ends the eve of the cruise.

Sunday
Temperature: 25
Pedometer: 10 615
Bear Sightings = 0

Total Bear Sightings = 12


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



8th June 2015

So excited for you for tomorrow.......you will love the cruise.....it will be the icing on the cake of your fabulous trip (except of course spending time with Mindy & Ian - that has been the best!!!)......xxxxxx

Tot: 0.042s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0233s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb