If you're slack and you know it clap your hands...


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » British Columbia » Vancouver
April 15th 2006
Published: April 17th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Hey Everyone,

Well so much for me trying to do this regularly and keep it up to date and all.

But seeing as i'm staying here for a bit longer now i figure i'll start now and make more of an effort to do it. So first to catch up on the last 4 months.

Getting Here


So everything was pretty uneventful on our flight from Brisbane to Sydney, and after being in Sydney for around an hour or so we were off to LA. We managed to get emergency exit seating thank the lord, with Matt and Toby both being 6'4" they were pretty happy. We arrived in the US and after getting though customs, which involved me leaving every jumper I owned on the plane and Matt and Toby nearly getting arrested by a large bald security guard, we managed to get our seats changed again for the next flight to the emergency aisle. We had about a 4 hour stop over at LAX and not wanting to get lost we decided to just wait around at our gate till our flight. We saw our plane pull up to the gate and them start loading luggage.
WhistlerWhistlerWhistler

Nice view to wake up to!
after about 30 mins the luggage was loaded but we hadn't seen our luggage get loaded and it was already 5 minutes past our departure time. After checking it turned out that our flight had moved gates and they had been waiting for us and were pretty much ready to leave without us, but anyway we managed to make the flight and landed in Canada a few hours later.

Finding Work


From then on we pretty much spent time looking for somewhere to work, and it didn't look too good, we had applied at the two mountains we knew of in Vancouver and both weren't promising, we were getting ready to take the next bus outta there and find something somewhere else till Matt found out about Cypress mountain. We went up and were hired on the spot and actually started the same day just working in Guest Services processing passes, answering phones and whatever else needed to be done.

About a week later we found a 2 bedroom flat in North Vancouver and we have pretty much been set ever since. In Guest services we had so many nationalities it sounded like the first line of a bad joke. 2 Kiwis, 4 Australians and a Welshman, plus of course the 3 Canadian supervisors.

For Aussie day we went to Whistler for two nights, Whistler is pretty much lil Australia with Canadian accents seeming out of place, had a brilliant time there getting a bit of home culture and eating many many pies.

Since then it's pretty much been working and the occasional drinking session.It was a blast from start to finish, i'm writing this on my last day of work and we have been working here since December 9th with today being April 16th.

Anyway that's about it. Will actively try to update this regularly from now on when stuff happens....


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



17th April 2006

Slacker
About bloody time.
17th April 2006

Finally
Nice work slacko, and finally even some photos... 5 months isn't THAT long really! Now to keep it up :)
20th April 2006

Cool..
By Jesus it looks cold Blacky!! Looks like great fun. Take care and keep us up to date!!
20th April 2006

Nath
It was great to chat to you cheeky man.. You better be back for the wedding :)
20th April 2006

Un Fukin Real
Looks brilliant Blacky, keep the great pictures coming. I want to see a shot of you in a pair of stubbies drinking a beer and eating a pie with no shirt on in the snow.
21st April 2006

about bloody time
Good to see you finally got your shyte together. Now for more regular updates.... Looks like top fun though :)
1st May 2006

GoodA
Great to see you are having a fantastic time We miss those little chats, so keep the happenings on line so we can keep track of you Hope alls well Love Neice and all the family Cheers xxxx oooo
11th May 2006

Suffer
I hope you get a savage hangover you grubb, we have to put up with coffee and work. Have a ball dude. Ian

Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.041s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb