Vancouver - day 1


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » British Columbia » Vancouver
February 17th 2006
Published: March 7th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Americans have their Spring break, Canadians have Reading days. This is just a week off, officially to study, but of course we internationals use that time to see a bit more of Canada.. That's why six of us (Freya, Mat, Michaela, Sabrina, Julia and moi) took the Greyhound bus for a 16-hours-long drive to Vancouver. As some of you may already know I can never sleep on the bus, even when I'm on one all night, so I was pretty exhausted when we arrived in Vancouver.

We arrived in Vancouver around 1.30 pm. However, not all our luggage was on the same bus, since we changed from our original bus to some speed bus somewhere on the way, but our luggage didn't. So after some coffee and a nutritious McDonalds meal we still had to wait for over an hour before we could go to our hostel.

Luckily, our hostel was close to the C-train so after we had finally found back all the luggage it only took us about 15 minutes to get to our hostel. The hostel appeared to be a good choice, not only because of its central location. For only $20 per night we slept in decent four persons rooms, and the bathrooms were not bad either.

After dropping off our luggage and a good shower we did a little tour thorugh downtown Vancouver. I must say I already loved Vancouver since the moment the bus entered the city. The streets are so much prettier, so much more alive than those in Calgary, with all the little lights and the smaller stores instead of only the malls. And the climate is a lot less dry than in Calgary too. Already on my first day in Vancouver I decided I'll definitely have to come back here.

We finished our tour in the harbor. That's another great thing about Vancouver, it has both a harbor, beaches and mountains. What else could you wish for 😉?

After the exhausting bus ride, I was pretty tired by the time we reached the harbor. Fortunately, I was not the only one, so we decided to sit down in a pub, have a meal and some beers (by the way, did I already mention I love Grasshopper? 😊 ). Afterwards, we went back to our hostel where we somehow managed to get some new energy, so Freya, Mat and I decided we should check out the club next to our hostel. Well, and since it was not too bad, we decided to stay a bit longer, and in the end our plan to go to bed early didn't work out at all. But, ey, we had a good first night in V-city, that's what it's all about in the end 😉..

Check out the pic's too!!



Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0278s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb