Day 1 Vancouver to Blind Channel


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » British Columbia » Vancouver
July 16th 2009
Published: July 30th 2009
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: "The World" 38 secs
2: Log Boom 72 secs
3: Following the Orca 38 secs
On our wayOn our wayOn our way

After working out the kinks we started making time
Started out Thursday at 13:00hrs from the Coast Gaurd station at the Burrard Launch. It was about 400 meters from shore we realized the Novurania was weighted stern heavy. To get it on a plane took full power and us getting forward. When we throttled back the wave from behind would splash over the transom.

Having never actually taken the boat out since it was built, Powell River, not Alaska seemed about right.

We hadn't tested the boat, but after 5 hours we felt the boat could do anything. We swapped running the boat and started to work on how the GPS worked. It turned out that the GPS was one of best tools we had on the trip; how far to next fuel station, distances to points, tides and of course navigation through some tiny entrances w/depth read out.

"The World" cruise ship we saw many times on the way up, anchored in Alert Bay, Prince Rupert and Ketchikan, plus we passed it on the water a couple of more times. It is an all inclusive private residence. You buy the room on the ship and it travels around the world. A studio, the cheapest, costs 600,000
Len ready to fishLen ready to fishLen ready to fish

Len dropping the line ready to catch all the fish we saw that day
and goes up from there. Who knows what the strata fee is!

The first night we spent on a dock in Blind Channel. We found out soon that the rough conversion was 1.2 litres for 1 nautical mile (1.85km), and we had 160 plus litres.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Unloading the boatUnloading the boat
Unloading the boat

Distrubiting the load as well as re-organizing on the first day so the boat will travel beter
Relaxing at the bowRelaxing at the bow
Relaxing at the bow

It was stabler then it looked, and was the place for a nap.


1st August 2009

Good weather and safe trip for the rest of it
Wow, I have just returned from Greece but it seems that my trip pales compared to your journey. I just hope that my brown colour will still remain there and not turn yellow because of all the enviness and gelousy and etc and etc aand etc.. I now have to cope with!! Although I have noticed that it is kind of noisy in your boat, you may be lucky to hear the seashell... Poseidon, mighty god of the seas was attracted to all the godess and women he would see. One day though, the dance of Amphitrite stirrs the tenderness in his heart. Not knowing how to deal with this new feeling, he uses his usual methods to have her, and makes her run and hide herself into the bottom of the sea. Realising he has lost The One and failing to find her, Poseidon is filled with great sadness. Impressed, his friend Delphinus (the Dolphin) volunteers to search for her and plead his case. He succeeds in his mission and Amphitrite becomes the Queen of the Seas. But, as the gods do not die (at least not so soon! ) like Romeo and Juliet, poor Poseidon returned to his old habits, and thus the story of the marriage begins :-).. .. … …………….... And even nowadays, my dear readers, when you hear the sound of a seashell, you will know that it is their son Triton riding with Poseidon in his chariot across the waters, trumpeting a sea shell to announce Poseidon's arrival.

Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0785s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb