Day 2 Blind Channel to Port Hardy


Advertisement
Published: July 30th 2009
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Buzzing the World 15 secs
2: On the fly fix 20 secs
3: Fixing the plug 6 secs
Salmon Salmon Salmon

First Nations having a big salmon feast in Alert bay and were nice enough to give us some.
We hit great weather all the way to Port Hardy. Stopped at a pub in Alert bay, met some of the local carvers and watched the locals prepare for a big salmon bbq. We were given some salmon in the picture and were on our way, after doing a close lap around "The World".

The plug was a real issue, as it's about 2" diameter to drain the inside of the boat. The seal wasn't "sealing" and was letting alot of water in the boat so we improvised a neoprene gasket that we made out of a reel cover. You couldn't slow down the boat to do the work or you'd have that 2" hole letting in water! So Len took out the plug on the fly and I cut up the reel cover for the gasket, all at 35 plus km per hour!

We stayed in a hotel near the Quarterdeck pub and explored lovely Port Hardy which was preparing for Filomi days.

Stocked up on trail mix and prepared the boat for Cape caution, exposed to the Pacific Ocean.




Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Alert bay carverAlert bay carver
Alert bay carver

Local Carver working away in his yard by the dock.
Residential School - Alert BayResidential School - Alert Bay
Residential School - Alert Bay

This residential school built in 1929 is apparently slated for demolition next year.
Len in Port HardyLen in Port Hardy
Len in Port Hardy

Just getting settled in Port Hardy
Halibut and SalmonHalibut and Salmon
Halibut and Salmon

Lot's of Halibut and Salmon getting cleaned at the Port Hardy dock


Tot: 0.146s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 64; dbt: 0.0878s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb