Harbour Centre Lookout Tower


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » British Columbia » Vancouver
February 7th 2006
Published: February 20th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Our next thing on the list was the Harbour Centre Lookout Tower, but we called into Sears (for Beck), and a travel agent first. The travel agent was bizarre; middle aged, Indian and openly gay. He wasn't interested in what we told him we wanted to do, he kept telling us what we should be doing because it's our honeymoon. Rest assured he wont be getting any business from us.
The tower was going to be tough for me being scared of heights, but I also love awesome views. We went up in a lift that was glass looking out over the city, it didn't say how many levels it was, but I was pressed up against the back wall (especially near the top it gave me heebie-jeebies). Once we were up in the tower I was all good as long as I didn't go near the edge.
The tower was brilliant, you could see 360 degrees, and there were plaques the whole way around explaining what things were. There were mountains the whole way around, but once again the sun detracted from some of the photos. The most impressive and highest mountain was Mt. Baker a dormant volcano to the east of Vancouver. It is the northern most of eleven Cascade (whatever that means) volcanoes that are thought to be dormant, although the eruption of Mt. St. Helens in 1984 has scientists looking at them closely. Mt Baker was formed during and since the last Ice Age, which is 15,000 years ago.
There was a sign to Sydney, and I think it was around 17,000 kilometres. Anyway the tower was awesome, due to the amazing scenery of Vancouver. Going back down wasn't so bad probably because I knew what to expect.
Before we called it a day we went to Gastown and Yaletown. We didn't do either justice though, because we were too tired. It was interesting to see the other side of Vancouver though. We saw a few people who looked like they were homeless - pushing around shopping trolleys full of cans and assorted junk. The rest of Vancouver that we've seen is fairly affluent, very nice houses and cars. Down West Hastings Street (the east end of the street) there was a marijuana seeds shop, which had strange smelling smoke coming out of it, and this is where we saw most of the homeless people.
By this stage we had to catch a bus home, and I quickly learnt that you have to have the correct change, and the bus driver doesn't touch any money or tickets. Ended up paying a bit over, but the bus dropped us off not far from Phil and Sal's.

Advertisement



19th February 2006

Hi
Sorry about last comment.Saw photos later. We are enjoying reading of your travels. S and R xx

Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 10; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0431s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb