Vancouver has hope. But the States???


Advertisement
Published: May 8th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Familiar faceFamiliar faceFamiliar face

Who is that standing in slips

Untitled Hey Nackers,
Well after all the hype and excitement of Whistler it was on to have some rest in Vancouver... Not really, we still had to find some Canadians with at least a 5 year olds knowledge of cricket. I mean they all scratch their noggins and proclaim "Cricket? You have to know what a crumpet is to understand cricket" or "Doesn't it have a wooden ball" Anyway this is how Beefie and I have explained it.

1. You have two sides, one out in the field and one in.

2. Each man that in the side that's in goes out and when he is out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out.

3. When they are all out the side that's out comes in and the side that's been in goes out and tries to get those coming in out.

4. Sometimes you get men still in and not out

5. When both sides have been in and out including the not outs. That’s the end of the game.

Now that is straight forward, even the most simplest of creatures, including those officiating the world cup final
Is this a pitchIs this a pitchIs this a pitch

Hey Beefie, Get down the other end and roll the old arm over. I think i'm a bit stiff. The legs don't move like they used to.
(good job boys, everyone likes a few extra over’s before hitting the piss) could understand that. But still we were met with some blank stares.

One punter from Vancouver Island told us that there was a pub in Victoria (sounds like a great place already) that was cricket themed. Well you could have bowled us out underarm after hearing that. So we packed our bags and off we went. The pub true to the Canadians word was called the Sticky Wicket, and had all sorts of gear on the wall. There was even a shot of Beefie in his prime against the Aussies at Lords. The highlight was these old cards framed on the wall that included the Don.

We were both on a high after the pub due to finally finding cricket in Canada..... And the many pints that we smashed harder than a Gilchrist six. The publican told us there was even a cricket ground in the park just down the road and it was over 100 years old. We could not pass this up so Beefie and I dashed down there to check it out. There was a nice old pavilion but the pitch left
The DonThe DonThe Don

The Don.... Need I say more
a little to be desired. It was probably the same grade as what the Whittlesea under 10's play on. I suppose having the fake grass on concrete means you don't need to maintain the pitch.

Since we had seen that Canada has some hope of embracing the greatest game in the world it was onto the final frontier of cricket..... The United States of America, A country that has a collective attention span that lasts as long as Glenn McGrath does at bat. But we figured if Beefie and I can't set them straight then no man can!!

We thought we would start at the closest city to Vancouver, Seattle. But no one would lift their head from their coffee to even give us the time of day. Since trying to convert these Yanks on a large scale was not going to work we head to no where middle America, Montana, South Dakota, Idaho and Wisconsin. We figured that maybe one on one was our best shot.

So we left Seattle in high hopes that we might find someone with half a cricket brain. But little to my surprise the further we went the further we were
Middle AmericaMiddle AmericaMiddle America

Hey Beefie. If it were any slower here you would think we were watching England playing cricket
from achieving our goal. There were not event that many places of interest to stop along the way. Beefie just wanted to get the hell out of there so we drove through the States faster than a Shaun Tait special.

So now we are back where we started, Toronto, where the world makes a little more sense. We are going to give Americans one last chance though. We may be down on our luck when it comes to converting Americans, but apparently you can change your luck in Las Vegas!!! So Beefie and I are off to Sin City.

Well catch you all then.


Boonie and Beefie out.


Oh Yeah before I forget 3 IN A ROW!!!! GO AUSSIE!!!


Advertisement



Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 46; dbt: 0.043s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb