Another couple of days in Vancouver


Advertisement
Published: July 28th 2013
Edit Blog Post

False CreekFalse CreekFalse Creek

On our way to Granville Island
July 27th, 2013

It’s 4pm on the afternoon of Saturday 27th and right now the boys are stood out on the balcony looking down on a mass of teenage girls waiting for the One Direction concert about to start in the Rogers Arena. I say about to start – they have another 3 ½ hours to go. Every now and again a girly scream rises up to our level. Whether they think they’ve seen one of the group I don’t know but I daresay most of them don’t know why they’re screaming. Or maybe they’ve heard that there are free Oreo Sundaes to be had. Sam and Matthew have now managed to acquire the grand total of 9. Apparently I have more children “at home” than I previously thought.

We too are going out later but it’s not to a One Direction concert. Hopefully, if we can stay up, we’re off to see the first of the amazing Celebration of Light firework display and today it’s the UK setting their fireworks to music.

Since being in Vancouver we’ve lost ourselves (literally) in the beautiful 1,000 acre forest and park that is Stanley Park (including 8 km of the
View from the CondoView from the CondoView from the Condo

Just make out Mount Baker to the left
seawall). Steve and Sam on inline skates and Matthew and I on hired bikes. While cycling in the heart of Stanley Park Matthew commented that it felt like we were deep in a forest rather than a park in a major city. (Admittedly this was the part when we were a tiny bit lost).

Matthew and I stopped at Beaver Lake which is looking beautiful at the moment. Unlike the days when we lived here they currently have a few beavers (so we overheard) and evidence of their existence is everywhere. Wonderful to have them back but apparently they have to monitor the situation well! Don't want those huge, tall trees falling down on us. Wouldn't do much for the tourist industry!

We’ve walked all the way around False Creek, hugging the water until Granville Island for lunch and have walked around Coal Harbour, stopping to watch the seaplanes land and take off and admiring the many impressive boats moored up. Coal Harbour has also come a long way since we lived there. In fact the seawall all around False Creek and Coal Harbour especially have so improved over the years. It's such a pleasure walking around here.
English BayEnglish BayEnglish Bay

The view from Burrard Bridge
Of course these beautiful blue skied days are helping!

We've also walked through Gastown, watched the steam clock go off and have eaten at two of our favourite restaurants ever – Kim House (Japanese) on Seymour Street and the Mongolian BBQ on Denman Street.

I'll end this blog entry by saying we did make it to the Fireworks and the UK did us proud! They were as awesome as ever.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

English BayEnglish Bay
English Bay

Looking down onto English Bay from Burrard Bridge
Mount BakerMount Baker
Mount Baker

Mount Baker in Washington State, USA


Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0219s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb