Day 3 / 4


Advertisement
Published: July 30th 2013
Edit Blog Post

July 29, 2013

Monday morning and Steve is working in the little office off of the kitchen, putting in his couple of hours a day; Sam is writing up about Helium in his long term assignment to cover all the elements in the periodic table and Matthew is presently working on Place Value in Maths.

We’ll be picking up our car later on and are hoping to get across to North Van and hike up Grouse Mountain; the infamous Grouse Grind.

Yesterday we hopped on the skytrain just outside the apartment for just a couple of stops to the Waterfront and then caught the seabus across to Lonsdale Quay. Enjoyed delicious sushi while listening to a Mexican band in the beautiful hot sun before returning on the seabus where we walked down Robson and back into Stanley Park.

20 years ago we bought a beautiful oil painting of the Vancouver skyline from one of the artists who display in Stanley Park (near the totems) and this time discovered the very same artist painting similar work (Raymond Liu?). Thinking maybe we’ll have to visit again before we head back to the UK and treat ourselves again!

We carried on walking all around Beaver Lake (again, sadly no beavers but the lovely and helpful eco-rangers were able to confirm what we’d heard yesterday in that there are presently four beavers on the lake and she could point out exactly where their home is. Dawn and dusk are apparently the best times to see them).

Our first Dairy Queen Blizzard ice-cream of the trip is our reward for lots more walking today (I think we’ve managed around 50km plus several hours biking / inline skating / swimming since in 3 days. Will at least help compensate for all the goodies we’ve eaten!).

9pm same day

I’m glad to report that we completed Grouse Grind today! Just 2.9km but with an elevation gain of 853 it’s like climbing up a steep staircase for 1.25 hours! Serious workout.

The boys did incredibly well and we all enjoyed the challenge and feeling of achievement (as well as the delicious Red Robin burger and fries afterwards!).

And another incentive for hiking up the mountain is that the price of a one-way ticket down the mountain in the gondola is a quarter of the price of a return ticket!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement


"Grinder""Grinder"
"Grinder"

One of the two rescue bears, Grouse Mtn.
Grouse Mtn SkyrideGrouse Mtn Skyride
Grouse Mtn Skyride

The quick way down!


30th July 2013
Heron on Beaver Lake, Stanley Park

Loving reading your blog - making us feel very envious and great pictures on the site too. Continue to have wonderful time.

Tot: 0.125s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 11; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0359s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb