Last day in Vancouver


Advertisement
Published: July 31st 2013
Edit Blog Post

Lyn & Gill out walkingLyn & Gill out walkingLyn & Gill out walking

Just one of the many trails around the house. Bear country.
Boo hoo. We are on a Canada Air flight at 6.30 tonight. But only boo hoo because we are leaving such wonderful hosts. Gill and Rob as usual couldn't do enough for us and we feel truly spoilt.

Over the last couple of days we have been out and about but I've been a bit of a dampener as I've picked up a cold bug and you know what men are reputedly like when they get a cold - amazingly resilient and uncomplaining. The weather continues to set records for sunshine - we have struck it lucky for sure especially when we look at the weather forecasts for the homeland. But we're not gloating you know; sunburn can be very painful.

What we've been doing: having a Mexican brunch with friends of Gill and Rob's in their 10th floor condo with spectacular views out over False Creek (as photos won't upload properly I can't show you), followed by a walk in the sun around the False Creek walkway through Granville Island and across the inlet on a dinky Little Toot - like ferry, the Aqua Bus. Entertained by a busker doing crazy things with a metres high unicycle.
At the Cobban'sAt the Cobban'sAt the Cobban's

Gill & Lyn on the deck

The walk/cycle way was crammed with pedestrians, cyclists, runners, roller bladers, prams but plenty wide enough to cope for all as it followed the sea around False Creek. It was hot! Back from the Creek there are mushrooming high rise condos, a Vancouver growth industry as individual housing becomes out of reach for young people and families. Sound familiar Aucklanders?

Dinner back at the ranch - Rob the hunter gatherer provided us with halibut and salmon he'd caught off Vancouver Island; we had apple and blackberry pie, the berrys plucked from the path next to the house and everything else was great. We have put on some kilos already in a few days.

Sunny day followed sunny day. Water like a mirror. Drove the boat to Port Moody for a beaut lunch at the Boathouse. Interesting to see wines being offered - Wither Hills, Oyster Bay very popular. The crab pot got a viewing on the way back and, success! Five crabs - females not allowed to be kept nor anything under 6 inches wide across the shell. We were able to keep two which is the legal allowable catch. That might not sound like much but each crab is a meal. Rob kept them in the pot under water at the jetty to give to Chinese friends who will treat them as a delicacy.

What else? Swimming at Ambleside Beach, Jenni and Elizabeth staying for a few nights. Lovely to see G and R as grandparents - totally besotted. We can fully understand that! Sp now Lyn and I are packing for our flight to, firstly Heathrow, then a 5 hour wait there before a flight to Stockholm where we will, we hope, meet up with Gavin, Heather, Raymond and My. If we don't we are stuffed!

I'll try once more with the photos but I think it's a dead duck.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Seymour Demonstration ForestSeymour Demonstration Forest
Seymour Demonstration Forest

Trails to die for and scenery to match
View over False CreekView over False Creek
View over False Creek

Looking out from Par and Rebeca's condo


31st July 2013

Colds and extra kilos?
Sounds like it should be no more beersy's for pops!

Tot: 0.037s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0183s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb