Canada & Libby


Advertisement
Published: July 26th 2011
Edit Blog Post

So we were starting to think we had made the wrong decision to go to Canada; the whole drive from Seattle was rain, rain and more rain and we were starting to get a sense of home! We were supposed to be staying in a really cheap hostel in Vancouver but after having a brief look around it (what a state) we decided against sleeping with the bed bugs on the brown piece of foam for a mattress! We drove around Vancouver in the car and decided we would move on; we were supposed to be going to a park for a free festival but the rain was relentless so we drove on to a campsite we planned to go to tomorrow.

It was really beautiful scenery and miraculously when we arrived at the campground at EC Manning Provincial Park the rain stopped – result! After putting the tent up we went for a walk by a river and through some woods; it was just what we needed after the long drive. We were in bear country and came across some droppings; Dim took a picture and showed the ranger later; sure enough it was bear droppings – aarggghhh!!!

The next day was another big drive but it was ok because the scenery was again so beautiful; we wished we didn’t have to rush as we liked Canada but maybe we will have more time to spend here later in the trip. We got to the next campsite at Nancy Greene Park, right next to a stunning lake that we decided to go for a swim in which soon turned into a mere dip as it was so so cold; water straight from the snowy mountains but it was refreshing at least.

We woke up at 5am to a huge thunderstorm and after the initial frustration at being woke up so early; (it’s not like we had work to get up for!) watching the storm was really cool. We had to quickly get up to stop the tent getting any wetter and drove for a while before stopping at a rest area to have breakfast and dry the stuff out. We didn’t feel quite ready to leave Canada yet so we went for another walk through forest and around a small lake; and without sounding repetitive another beautiful one.

It was time to head back into the
Looks familiarLooks familiarLooks familiar

Vancouver - all it did all day was rain
U.S which was leaving us with mixed feelings and we were not looking forward to the border crossing as we had heard that you get scrutinized, which we didn’t need after the early start we had. We were in luck, the crossing was smooth and before we knew it we were into Idaho and albeit brief, another state off the list; we drove mainly through farmland but Idaho seemed nice enough.

We then crossed into Montana, destination Libby where we were couch-surfing with a couple Julie and Joe Barcomb, when we pulled up to their home we were blown away; a big cedar house with a vegetable garden, log shed and some open space surrounded by trees; really lovely home. That evening the Barcomb’s treated us to a bbq of Elk, Antelope or Deer (Joe hunts his own meat but they couldn’t remember which of the 3 it was!), which was a first for us but a nice first. I did feel a bit bad when some deer came into the garden really close and we were tucking into their cousin. After tea we settled down to a game of Quiddler and it was just the thing we needed
A Building...A Building...A Building...

We didn't stay long so got a few snaps from the car and this was about the best we got!!
after all the travelling we had been doing. We were supposed to leave the next day but we could not drag ourselves away and it was Joe’s 70th birthday so how could we! We spent the day looking around Libby and relaxing and then Julie showed me how to make Devils eggs. We had a lovely birthday tea in the evening followed by another game of Quiddler and this time I didn’t come last!!

We had such a lovely time at the Barcombs and hope we can repay the hospitality one day – thank you Barcombs!!!



Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Pump up the JamPump up the Jam
Pump up the Jam

Oldskool water pump at the campsite that we had to use.
Canyon Nature TrailCanyon Nature Trail
Canyon Nature Trail

A short but beautiful walk near the campsite
Bear PooBear Poo
Bear Poo

Oh No!!
Drying TimeDrying Time
Drying Time

This morning we got caught in a thunder storm...love packing tents away in the rain!
River OverlookRiver Overlook
River Overlook

We also went for a great walk on the top here
Drying TimeDrying Time
Drying Time

This morning we got caught in a thunder storm...love packing tents away in the rain!
River OverlookRiver Overlook
River Overlook

We also went for a great walk on the top here
CaveCave
Cave

Not sure how far this went down but we weren't in a hurry to find out!
Snow Capped mountainsSnow Capped mountains
Snow Capped mountains

plenty of these around
Lake on top of a passLake on top of a pass
Lake on top of a pass

We also saw our first Elk roaming around here
Cold LakeCold Lake
Cold Lake

We decided on swimming...brrrr...Lakes in Canada are COLD!!
Back in the USABack in the USA
Back in the USA

and into our 6th State
The only pic from IdohoThe only pic from Idoho
The only pic from Idoho

We litterally drove through the state for about an hour
Number 7!!Number 7!!
Number 7!!

we heard a lot of great things about Montana


Tot: 0.139s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0674s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb