Glacier National Park


Advertisement
Published: July 29th 2011
Edit Blog Post

We were sad to leave Libby but we needed to press on as there is still so much we want to see; next stop Glacier National Park. The drive through Montana (I had been particularly excited about this state) was really nice and we were looking forward to seeing the national park.

We arrived late afternoon; it was quite chilly; so we stopped for a short walk at Sprague Creek to get our blood flowing. The walk meandered through woods and then out to a river with some waterfalls; the river was really full as the snow was still melting. We were in bear country still and Dim was making lots of noises (as you’re advised to do) as we walked and scaring me half to death each time he did! We passed one woman who we felt had gone a bit over the top prepared to meet a bear with pepper spray, bells and whistle that we heard her continually blow, but it made us laugh! The walk was fairly average but it was nice to stretch our legs after the long drive and then we made our way to Avalanche campsite in woods which was nice. Dim made a fire that night (he has gotten quite the expert after getting some tips from Reggie in Oz) with the wood Joe (Thanks Joe!) had given us and it was God send as it was so cold and it was also essential to cook our homemade hamburgers and more importantly to toast my marshmallows on.

We started out early the next day and drove up the Sun Road and over Logan’s Pass; the views were outstanding and we saw a mountain goat that was pure white and blended in well with all the snow (we have seen so much wildlife so far). We were meant to do a walk by Logan’s Pass but there was snow all the way so we decided against this and instead went on a really stunning walk to Mary’s and Virginia Falls passing by a beautiful Glacial Lake; we were glad of our choice in the end; we encountered a deer on the way right next to the path and Dim was scared stiff as he thought it was a bear initially! It was nice having our dinner overlooking Virginia Waterfalls which was the less busy and more spectacular of the 2. So that was our visit to Glacier drawing to a close but not before we saw what we initially thought were 2 lovely looking dogs but when we got close up they had wolf like eyes so we assumed they were Coyotes; amazing end to a beautiful park.

Next blog Yellowstone……



Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Wall of water..Wall of water..
Wall of water..

all the snow melting from the mountain
Glacial lakeGlacial lake
Glacial lake

This was taken on a little jetty; we had it all to ourselves it was so peaceful.
My FallsMy Falls
My Falls

These were Mary falls.
Dead treesDead trees
Dead trees

There were so many dead trees and we think they had been struck by a disease; not good.


30th July 2011

Glacier Park- well worth the trip
we're glad you are having such a good time. Thanks for the updates and spectacular photos
30th July 2011

Good to hear from you Julie..
Yes we have been having a lovely time but stretching ourselves a bit too far but we have listened to your advice about seeing all the states and are having some relaxed time in South Dakota at an indian reservation. Thanks for everything we still think of our time with the 2 of you often xx

Tot: 0.18s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.1024s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb