Day 5 & 6 - Watersports and Bluegrass


Advertisement
Published: August 27th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Morning in the CoveMorning in the CoveMorning in the Cove

The morning awaits us in Deep Cove
Day 5 - Monday was a glorious day in Deep Cove! Deep blue skies and a slight wind. Great for some watersports.

So Aunt Kelly and I took out the 2 man outrigger canoe for a spin. My outrigger experience in Australia put me in good stead to paddle with her. She is a great paddler and said that I was doing pretty well. After a spot of lunch out on the deck, Kelly took me up to Corey rock, which is part of the Baden Powell walk. It is a great 45 minute walk each way which goes through the forest which takes you to a big rock overlooking Deep Cove and Indian Arm. The day was then capped off with some jamming with the local bluegrass community at Trout Lake Park in East Vancouver. Kelly and Uncle Bin Keng came along, as well as their neighbours Bernie and Carole. They all thorougly enjoyed the experience of jamming in the park.

Day 6 - Tuesday was another glorious day!

Kelly and I took the stand-up paddle board and single man outrigger canoe and we paddled down to Boulder Island, about 10 minutes paddle from the house, then
Boulder IslandBoulder IslandBoulder Island

We would paddle to Boulder Island
we swapped and I had a go on the single man outrigger and Kelly jumped on the board and went around Boulder Island again. It was my first time on a single-man outrigger. I've been reluctant previously to try it as I've been told it is easy to tip over, but I didn't have any trouble, although I made sure I always leaned on the armour side.

When we came back to the house I inhaled a local honey doughnut, the local Deep Cove delicacy, and then Kelly showed me some of her photos of her and Bin Keng's recent wedding in Jamaica. The location was spectacular and everyone looked so beautiful.

...But enough of wedding photos, time to take the 2 dogs (Holly and Gabby) for a walk. We strolled to a secluded beach where a group of young kids were also enjoying the water. Holly and Gabby both loved the walk and jumped into the water as well. The kids were great with the dogs, very gentle, especially taking care of Gabby who is totally blind!

When we got back, we dropped Cohen to his girlfriend's house in West Vancouver, then Kelly and I went
Aunt KellyAunt KellyAunt Kelly

Commander Kelly thinking of what activities to inflict on me today! Hmm...
for a walk along Ambleside. This is a lovely walk along the water, looking out towards Stanley Park and the Lions Gate bridge. We then went to check out some of the boutiques in West Vancouver. I sensed that this is the Rodeo Drive of Vancouver, with a lot of designer boutiques and we also dropped in to Lulu Lemon to pick up a birthday present for my sister back in Australia.

The day was then capped off with uncle Bin Keng bringing back some lovely Japanese food which we enjoyed out on the deck as the sun set in Deep Cove. I would sleep very well that night, ready for the next day's adventures.


Additional photos below
Photos: 66, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Holly on the Top DeckHolly on the Top Deck
Holly on the Top Deck

She's a chocolate labrador and is always hungry
GabbyGabby
Gabby

Gabby is a lovely dog, however cataracts have blinded her. It is amazing how she has adapted, but can't help feeling sorry when she walks into things.
The dining and living roomThe dining and living room
The dining and living room

They've done an amaing job with the interior design
Washing up?Washing up?
Washing up?

Gives new meaning to just doing the dishes.
Bathroom sinkBathroom sink
Bathroom sink

Not your usual bathroom sink
HollyHolly
Holly

Oh Holly, yes we will take you on a walk
Front EntranceFront Entrance
Front Entrance

This is the front of Casa Datai, which is what Kelly and Bin Keng have called their place.
Vegetable GardenVegetable Garden
Vegetable Garden

Even the vegetables get a view of Deep Cove
LunchLunch
Lunch

Lunch on the lower deck. The table is of Koi swimming, and painted by one of Kelly's artist friends, Lindsay, also from Deep Cove
CohenCohen
Cohen

Cohen taking the paddle board for a spin to Boulder Island
Corey RockCorey Rock
Corey Rock

This is the well worn path to Corey Rock. Very cool under the cover of the pine trees.
Kelly and IKelly and I
Kelly and I

On top of Corey Rock, part of the Baden Powell trail
Casa DataiCasa Datai
Casa Datai

The garden up near the road. Their place is pretty steep, but they've terraced it nicely.


Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 58; dbt: 0.0721s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb