Vancouver Island 2012 (2)


Advertisement
Published: August 2nd 2012
Edit Blog Post

I'M settling in to island life now. Quite a bit more relaxed than the mainland. People are extremely friendly and welcoming. The weather has been good, cool starts to the days but warming up by mid morning and fully sunny for the rest of the day. The weekend is predicted to be around 84c.

Sproat Lake is about 10km from Port Alberni, an easy drive through the forests. The next lake is Central Lake, a colder, deeper lake than Sproat. We drove there to check out the launch/landing facilities. Along the way we passed a Spruce tree with unusual decorations up to about 30ft off the ground! Daps, flip flops, toys, chairs, anything really. No idea what that was about. At the lake was a Salmon Hatchery. The fish population is being supplemented by these nurserys. They produce millions of young fish to release.

Back at the Fish & Duck a nice muscle car turned up. Dodge Charger with 454ci motor with Nitrous. Beer on the terrace in the sun......

On Tuesday the three of us drove down to Coombs, stopping at Cameron Lake on the way. Another cold, deep lake but picturesque. In Coombs we collected a 1000 gal cistern to bury in the garden to supplement the well. People who live on the lake front take their water directly from the lake. Larry & Judy have a well. No water rates and as they have a Septic field, no sewerage charges either. The cistern fitted on the bed of the truck ok. We stopped for a snack at Goats On The Roof, a country shop and cafe.

Yesterday Larry took me to town to get my fishing licence for fresh and salt water. He then gave me a casting lesson in th Sommas river. Didn't catch anything though, can't believe it! I want my money back! Lost 2 hooks and a float 😞


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



2nd August 2012

No Fish?
Fancy loosing all that gear, you ought to try a bit of tickling, trout that is. What happened to the pikeys?
3rd August 2012
1000 gallon beer keg/cister!

Cistern
I guess Mike that the cistern has to be buried in the ground. Have they given you a shovel and is that how you'll be earning your keep? Good luck with the fishing, that sounds brill. Cheers

Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0368s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb