bogans by the lake


Advertisement
Published: June 11th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Day two, which was, despite the date at the top of this entry, Sunday the 3rd June: After a slightly frustrating start to the day looking for a particular trail in a particular national park, and finding only housing developments, we went back to bed and tried getting out the other side and starting again.

It was a good move. We drove (yep, DROVE, woo-hoo) out to the other side of Comox Lake in search of that seam of basalt we spied the day before. Let me intersect a crucial piece of information here: I mentioned that we spent some savings and you might be wondering what we actually spent money on, since we were staying in someone's house for free and not exactly dining out in five star eatery's. Well, we got brave and hired a car. It really wasn't that bad, driving on the wrong side of the road, probably because we have had some time here now for it to almost normalise. Jono only had to remind me once (on a quiet back road, luckily) that I was on the wrong side.

We found the rock, and we played around on it all day. It was pretty nice climbing right above the lake. The rock was not Squamish quality (of course) but it was decent. The quick dips (and they were quick) at the bottom, along with the views, added to the appeal.

After a day on rock under the beautiful sun, we were totally unprepared for the sight awaiting us, back at the car park. Rednecks/bogons/westies/(continue inserting any of the plethora of other adjectives here), it seems, are all over the world. Here, they drive bigger 'trucks', have bigger dogs, bigger tattoos, bigger children, more trash and louder music. I guess they need bigger 'trucks' to carry their bigger dogs, children and increased amounts of trash to be. A potentially pretty lake was absolutely crawling with overweight sunburnt people drinking beer, smoking, eating ice creams, hot dogs and chips and blaring music out of their petrol-guzzling beasts. The grey pebbly beach was choking under empty beer cans, cigarette buts, chip packets, dirty nappies (OK - so I only saw one dirty nappy, but I wasn't looking very hard)... you get the picture. About 40 percent of me wanted to take some documentary photos but the majority 60 percent wanted to get the hell outa there.

The day ended with rain clouds closing in and some yummy fresh halibut (a delicious cold water fish found off the coast of Canada) and more beer.

Jono here for only the second time ever, but lots of those photos you have been seeing are mine. Really they are: Yeh those bogans/westies are for real. Ausse westies have a lot to learn from this lot. When we got in the car at the car park I really wanted to put our automatic car in forward and run a whole tribe of them over. But no I put it in reverse laughing my head off. Really thats all you could do Laugh. What complete and utter morons. Then I saw the guy flick a cigarette in the air, landing still alight in the sand. I really wanted to get out of the car and stub it out in his face. All this was happening with a bunch of girl guides hanging around on a camp.
Anyway the climbing was great, the beaches were stony and painful to walk on and the bogans/westies/booners were out of sight as soon as we walked around the corner. Oh by the way Dahna is my best friend and I LOVE HER



Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

climbing and kissing the sun goodbyeclimbing and kissing the sun goodbye
climbing and kissing the sun goodbye

It was good while it lasted.


14th June 2007

oooeee
johno loves dahna!!! oooo... lovers....lovers... kissy kissy smooch-a-roo! sounds like those westies would give the penrith pram pusher and pot smokiers a run for there money... I can see the girl guides faces now... oh that bonnet blue!!! You folks doing any work over there ? or is it just one big holiday? Envious ev here...... working life is taking it toll .... yah for more holidays!! Johno... nice pics your starting to get the hand of hadling that lens !
15th June 2007

heya ev
long time no see/hear. u work too much! But yeah, we are doing a fair bit of that too - it just doesn't make for very interesting reading. I just did a 7 day stint of work (and am only getting $11 an hour for it) - if that lessens the envy a little... ?

Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0304s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb